This seems my only way..I do plan to clamp after I get a base pedestal built

Attachments

• IMG_0056mud room.jpg
    IMG_0056mud room.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 288

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
You're kidding, right?

You want to use a little pvc line for your washing machine drain?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That pipe will cause so much back pressure that something will fail prematurely. "Reverse the doors" and move the washer to the right side so it will be close enough to the drain that the hose will reach.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sometimes I just scratch my head and wonder what the guru's at Home Depot were thinking when they decided to sell wholesale to the public. So here's another shining example (sorry billfig) of a guy that wanted to save a few bucks so he goes out and buys the wrong stuff and then takes the time to install the wrong stuff and now has to do it all over again when if he'd just called a plumber in the first place he would probably be ahead of the game. At worse he would have spent a few more dollars and had it done right. And, had he not posted the picture here he may well have ruined the washer also. There's a very good reason why we charge the money we charge. We have the skills, knowledge and tools to do it right the first time.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I couldn't believe that white pipe was the washer drain. Surely it is something else! Holy SharkBite, batman!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Bill- a washer drain must be minimum 2"!
You need a new standpipe at the washing machine which may be able to connect to the existing drain down at floor level.

The only way to do this right is to open up the wall and move the plumbing.

Billfig

Reaction score
Hi just logged on- Crap! The drain on this HE washer is 3/4" id and it uses like 8 gal per wash cycle not 40+ per as the old models. This is still in the temporary stages. There's really no way to get a drain or fill over to it without running it outside the wall since this room is just a box/deck setting above garage floor.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is there a P trap and vent in the drain? If not, that's a couple more goofs. I'll defer to the pro plumber regarding the drain size, but it has been preached repeatedly on this forum that 2" is new code for washer drains, and that even older 1-1/2" were too small. Now, I understand this machine is using very new technology, so perhaps this is OK, but I sure have my doubts, and I'd wait until an informed pro can verify the 3/4" size as being OK. Old machines also used a very small drain hose, but they have to empty into a 2" trapped and vented stand pipe.

Billfig

Reaction score
Yes it simply goes to a standard standpipe which I had plumbed in by a plumber when I initially built the room. I went thru the permitting/inspection processes so all was right. I know this is kinda mickey mouse but I wanted to try it to see how it looked/worked and we like them on the back wall better now.

sombrerocat

Reaction score
Is this post a parody on DIY'ers? I'm laughing/crying about how badly our toilet was plumbed by previous owners, but I got a chuckle out of this arrangement. I'm guilty of too much DIY, but at least made an attempt to read up on plumbing/electrical and contracted out what we couldn't handle.

I noticed there's another problem -- that outlet nearby is not GFCI. So if -- errr, WHEN the drain pipe busts and sprays water every where, it might just spray that outlet really well, causing a short.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Essentially, all that you have done (in a convoluted manner) is lengthened the drain hose on the washer.

What you have there is very unprofessional, but it might work.

Given that you have such a nice looking laundry room and new machines, I would think that you would want the plumbing be installed in such a way that it works properly AND does not stick out like a sore thumb.

MTcummins

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yikes! What you have done is indeed extend the drain line, but I'm fairly certain that this will overload your washer's discharge pump, and at minimum will definitely void the washer's warranty. If you don't mind replacing the washer pump from time to time, it will probably work. It won't burst the line, its not under any significant pressure.

Just for the look of it, if nothing else, you should figure something else out. Front load washer doors are usually not reversible, unfortunately, so you probably don't have an easy option of switching the washer and dryer to at least get the drain closer to the standpipe. Then again, I have the same problem, and the door is just a little bit in the way when switching clothes over. Its a little annoying, but I barely notice anymore, you get used to it pretty quick.

I'd have the plumbing moved... if nothing else, put in a new standpipe outside the wall behind the washer and run a 2" drain over to the existing drain line outside the wall. At least it will be below the machines there and look better. If you're building stands for the machines, you can run the pipe through the stands and keep the machines close to the wall.

Based on what you've done here, I'm going to go ahead and suggest that you not try this plumbing yourself. Hire a plumber. Its a small job, you should be able to have it done relatively inexpensively, at least compared to the problems you're going to have from your DIY install.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Or you could just put the washing machine back where it belongs and avoid any flood or insurance or warranty or head aches down the road.

MTcummins

In the Trades
Reaction score
yes, unless there is a really good reason not to do this, i would also move them back rather than messing with it. but if you must move them, do it right

Billfig

Reaction score
Yikes! What you have done is indeed extend the drain line, but I'm fairly certain that this will overload your washer's discharge pump, and at minimum will definitely void the washer's warranty. If you don't mind replacing the washer pump from time to time, it will probably work. It won't burst the line, its not under any significant pressure.

Just for the look of it, if nothing else, you should figure something else out. Front load washer doors are usually not reversible, unfortunately, so you probably don't have an easy option of switching the washer and dryer to at least get the drain closer to the standpipe. Then again, I have the same problem, and the door is just a little bit in the way when switching clothes over. Its a little annoying, but I barely notice anymore, you get used to it pretty quick.

I'd have the plumbing moved... if nothing else, put in a new standpipe outside the wall behind the washer and run a 2" drain over to the existing drain line outside the wall. At least it will be below the machines there and look better. If you're building stands for the machines, you can run the pipe through the stands and keep the machines close to the wall.

Based on what you've done here, I'm going to go ahead and suggest that you not try this plumbing yourself. Hire a plumber. Its a small job, you should be able to have it done relatively inexpensively, at least compared to the problems you're going to have from your DIY install.
Exactly! You know where I'm coming from..and headed..LOL! I do agree with everyone here but really want to try to make this new location viable and yes I will be building a raised platform for these but want to get the install nailed down before designing that. That's why I posted here, lol.

Last edited:

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Well since it is a high efficiency washer I'm sure it will be just fine... :rolleyes: your insurance adjustor will not.