High Pressure no water

Users who are viewing this thread

Crystalgkc21

Reaction score
We had a flash freeze last week but I was preoccupied at the hospital and I forgot to turn on the heater in the well house. There was no water when I got home most likely due to frozen pipes but the water returned sometime during the night. I left the kitchen faucet open hoping for the best before I went to bed that night. I had water for about a day and a half and then all of a sudden it just quit. I thought maybe the heater quit working but when i went to check on it, inside the well house was warm and the ground was damp not frozen anymore. I have been without water going on 4 days now. The pressure Gauge was at 0 when the pipes were frozen but now it's reading at a constant 80psi. I had my pressure switch replaced because it was pretty old but it didn't change anything. There is no water even trying to come out of the spigot. The pump doesn't sound like it's running but I know it shuts off at some point. I don't know anything about this stuff other than what I have read online and YouTube videos. I have no idea where to go from here. Please help.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Gauge is bad it froze. Pump is it in the well house or a submersible? Have you checked power with a meter and pressure switch?

Crystalgkc21

Reaction score
Gauge is bad it froze. Pump is it in the well house or a submersible? Have you checked power with a meter and pressure switch?
I guess I was referring to the pressure tank that is in the well house. I'm not familiar with this stuff so I apologize but there is power and the pressure switch arcs when i flick it with a screw driver. The pump is submersible. The water won't go past the pressure Gauge.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Turn the power off to the pump if the line is still frozen its not good for the pump. How warm is your pump house? Have any drain valve you could open see it water runs out? Might want to think about finding a well service.

Crystalgkc21

Reaction score
Update: there is 0 psi in the pressure tank and i moved it around and i didnt hear any water inside it to make sure it wasnt water logged. my boyfriend took the water hose off of the spigot that is in there and the pipes in the front are still frozen but has thawed some and the water pressure is now steady at 60psi. There was constant connection to the pressure switch so I shut the breaker off in fear of burning the pump up. While the power was off, I cleaned the wires because there was black stuff on them from making it arc. I moved the heater to have the heat directly towards those lines. My questions now are, will leaving the faucets inside open while having no water possibly cause the loss of air pressure (note: I also checked for any visible damages or cracks and didn't find anything.) My other question is, what steps should I take once the pipes have thawed?

Crystalgkc21

Reaction score
Update 2: pipes are thawed and there is water flowing to the house but you are right and the pressure gauge is shot and there is water is spewing out from under the gauge. Is there a way to cover that or do something to possibly keep the anything from shorting out until I can get it replaced.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks