Help identify this plumbing part and how to install…

Users who are viewing this thread

DirtyJerz

Reaction score
waste receptor
But a lavatory trap (that’s what the OP has?) is not a waste receptor.

WASTE RECEPTOR. A floor sink, standpipe, hub drain or floor drain that receives the discharge of one or more indirect waste pipes.

So the picture and wording say the same thing. A sink tailpiece is not a waste receptor, so not only is it not an air gap, it’s literally not a legit place to drain the condensate.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
But a lavatory trap (that’s what the OP has?) is not a waste receptor.
You are correct on that definition, which I wasn't aware of.

But now it sounds like a coordination issue between the IPC and the IMC, as the OP's lavatory branch tailpiece condensate connection (although in a jurisdiction not using the IPC) is clearly in compliance with IMC 307.2.1.1:

For discussion of this IMC section by the ICC:

Perhaps the IPC doesn't intend to cover condensate disposal under Chapter 8? I'm unclear on that.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
virtually every house built in So Cal that has airconditioning. could be forieghn looking in another part of world but its as common as can be and like I said the hose ties to a wye branch some places dump condensate outside on ground but Ive done 100s like this to every 1 thats piped elsewhere.
Totaly Legit in Ca . Other places allow Dishwashers to connect to a wye branch we require an Airgap. Just differances in code no real reason why we can all justify in one way or another though. We prep food in sinks directly connected to dirty pipe in homes, no air gap or floor sink So there are inconsitancys

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
virtually every house built in So Cal that has airconditioning. could be forieghn looking in another part of world but its as common as can be and like I said the hose ties to a wye branch some places dump condensate outside on ground but Ive done 100s like this to every 1 thats piped elsewhere.
Totaly Legit in Ca . Other places allow Dishwashers to connect to a wye branch we require an Airgap. Just differances in code no real reason why we can all justify in one way or another though. We prep food in sinks directly connected to dirty pipe in homes, no air gap or floor sink So there are inconsitancys
If your doing it that way in California your wrong.

DirtyJerz

Reaction score
So I decided to go and look at the California plumbing code. Looks like https://up.codes/viewer/california/ca-plumbing-code-2022/chapter/8/indirect-wastes#808.1 808.1 explicitly allows it for this specific case. Any other indirect waste cannot be drained this way however, even in CA.

Personally seems like a recipe for disaster. The genius HVAC contractors who installed the condensate drain line in my house a decade ago decided to jam it about a foot into the laundry standpipe, you can imagine how gross the inside of my drain tube is now as a result.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
If your doing it that way in California your wrong.
California Plumbing Code 814.5, and the unamended 2021 UPC, says: "Air-conditioning condensate waste pipes shall connect . . or the tailpiece of plumbing fixtures." So it is specifically allowed. The California Mechanical Code has identical provisions.

Cheers, Wayne

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
California Plumbing Code 814.5, and the unamended 2021 UPC, says: "Air-conditioning condensate waste pipes shall connect . . or the tailpiece of plumbing fixtures." So it is specifically allowed. The California Mechanical Code has identical provisions.

Cheers, Wayne
This is not a lavatory or bathtub. This is a kitchen sink Wayne.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score

Cheers, Wayne
I'm I just looked back at the op. This is a lav where it's allowed in California. And only in a lav. They must think lav tailpieces are cleaner than others.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm I just looked back at the op. This is a lav where it's allowed in California. And only in a lav. They must think lav tailpieces are cleaner than others.
Why do you think that it's only allowed in a lav? The language I quoted says "tailpiece of plumbing fixtures."

Iowa has the same code provisions. As does any jurisdiction that has adopted the 2021 UPC and not amended it away.

Cheers, Wayne

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why do you think that it's only allowed in a lav? The language I quoted says "tailpiece of plumbing fixtures."

Iowa has the same code provisions. As does any jurisdiction that has adopted the 2021 UPC and not amended it away.

Cheers, Wayne
It says indirectly to..... Which means you can't connect it directly. Still need an air gap or air break.

The next section says lav or accessible tub overflow.

The IAPMO interpretation I posted is also pretty clear. The indirect piping can connect, but the still needs to be an air gap or air break.

Probably 90 percent of air conditioning coils residentially here are in the basement. They would need to be pumped to a lav and are generally pumped to a receptor. It would be harder to run them to a lav with a direct connection. This must be some kind of standard in California where there coils are easily ran to a lav or accessible bath overflow. Seems odd to do here based on a the common configuration, but there it must be the way to go. My initial objections were based on this being a kitchen sink. Which was inaccurate.

We often run indirect piping tee'd into a shower tailpiece or any tailpiece, but that indirect piping terminates in a wall in a box like a washing machine. The ac will then run from the coil into that box.

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
It says indirectly to..... Which means you can't connect it directly. Still need an air gap or air break.

The next section says lav or accessible tub overflow.
Ah, and the next section (814.6) refers to a direct connection. Thank you for the clarification and for sticking with me, I stopped reading too soon.

I agree now that a connection to a tailpiece is not an indirect connection and doesn't provide an air break. If you had a lavatory or sink with an extra inlet high on the side wall near the flood rim, to which you connected your condensate drain, that would be an indirect connection and provide an air break. [Note that the definition of "drainage system" includes piping but not fixtures, so the tailpiece is part of the drainage system, but the sink is not.]

The difference between that and a tailpiece direct connection just seems to be how far the sink has to back up to reach the condensate drain connection. But I agree that in practice it's a big difference, you don't have much chance noticing a backup until it comes up into the sink.

As to California practices, basements are rare in the warm populous parts of the state. So there's likely to be plumbing fixtures on the same level as the HVAC equipment. Or the HVAC equipment is in the attic.

Cheers, Wayne