Help identify this plumbing part and how to install…

Users who are viewing this thread

Pikachu

Reaction score
I’m doing a bath faucet reinstall and I had the old plumbing removed prior to taking photos. So now there is a piece of flexible pipe jutting from the wall that I do not know or how it should be installed.

Can someone tell me what this flexible pipe (see red circle) does and how it should be installed? I.e. do I connect it to a P trap? Is it a vent pipe?

Thanks in advance.

9FD35E73-D7A3-4877-BDAA-2F5B880A62F3.jpeg

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
That's your dishwasher pump pumping toward your sink base. You need to hook it either to the garbage disposal dishwasher inlet or a tee in the tailpiece of the sink drain piping.

Pikachu

Reaction score
John > Tks for the advice! Just to clarify, I should connect the flexible hose to the waste tee as shown here?

30F7644A-0419-4AF8-9877-63FF8B56E6B7.jpeg

Storm rider

Slave to rentals
Reaction score
You said bath faucet, so I'm thinking that it may be a condensate drain line. Install is the same principle, you need a tailpiece with an inlet.

DirtyJerz

Reaction score
Might be the angle of the photo, but isn’t the diameter of that flex pipe way bigger than those inlets?

Reach4

Reaction score
Is that big hose 7/8 inch ID, or what?

Pikachu

Reaction score
You said bath faucet, so I'm thinking that it may be a condensate drain line. Install is the same principle, you need a tailpiece with an inlet.

Yes, this is a bath faucet located on the 2/F with no dishwasher nearby. So it does appear to be a condensate drain line.

BTW, the mystery is solved. I managed to locate the old drain pipe and will simply buy a new replacement that has the inlet drain.

Thank you all for the help!

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can't hook a condensate line directly to you your plumbing.

I don't know where the bath drain comes into play for any reason. Why does a bath drain have a condensate line hooked to it? That isn't right. You need a real air gap for hvac condensate lines.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Attic Air Handler for AC?. Usually it is a 3/4 PVC and 3/4" is coming out of the wall.

Reach4

Reaction score
Last edited:

DirtyJerz

Reaction score
You need an air gap to prevent the pump from siphoning waste back up the line…this looks like a recipe for trouble.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can't hook a condensate line directly to you your plumbing.
California Plumbing Code (UPC) 801.2 requires an air gap or an air break. Later sections in Chapter 8 require an air gap for some cases, like a dishwasher, but I didn't see anything requiring an air gap in this application.

My initial understanding is that a sink tailpiece with a side inlet would constitute an air break, but I'm not certain. I don't find the definition particularly enlightening:

Air Break. A physical separation which may be a low inlet into the indirect waste receptor from the fixture, appliance, or device indirectly connected.

This commentary discusses the difference between an air gap and an air break. The difference that is clear to me is that an air break doesn't have to discharge above the flood rim level of the fixture. Whether it needs to discharge into the bowl (as illustrated) rather than the tailpiece of a sink isn't clear to me. Both cases would provide vertical clearance from the trap seal.

Cheers, Wayne

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Air gaps and breaks are designed to prevent cross contamination of potable water. The reason you wouldn't have a condensate drain hooked up to your sewer is to prevent sewer gases from escaping through a non trapped condensate pipe. In this instance the sink p-trap prevents sewer gases from escaping through the condensate.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
California Plumbing Code (UPC) 801.2 requires an air gap or an air break. Later sections in Chapter 8 require an air gap for some cases, like a dishwasher, but I didn't see anything requiring an air gap in this application.

My initial understanding is that a sink tailpiece with a side inlet would constitute an air break, but I'm not certain. I don't find the definition particularly enlightening:

Air Break. A physical separation which may be a low inlet into the indirect waste receptor from the fixture, appliance, or device indirectly connected.

This commentary discusses the difference between an air gap and an air break. The difference that is clear to me is that an air break doesn't have to discharge above the flood rim level of the fixture. Whether it needs to discharge into the bowl (as illustrated) rather than the tailpiece of a sink isn't clear to me. Both cases would provide vertical clearance from the trap seal.

Cheers, Wayne
I take an air break to be an instance where you drain onto the floor which then flows into a floor drain. An air I take to mean "hanging" above the drain.

Either way you can't have a direct connection from the sewer system to the hvac system.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score

Cheers, Wayne
Looks like an air break must go into the receptor. I think once you're into the tailpiece (and this is always how I've understood it) your into the sewer system.
Screenshot_20230117-193159_Chrome.jpg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks like an air break must go into the receptor. I think once you're into the tailpiece (and this is always how I've understood it) your into the sewer system.
I agree that is a reasonable inference from the picture. But the wording doesn't exactly say that. So I think the status of a tailpiece connection under the UPC is still debatable.

Under the IPC (not relevant to the OP in California), seems like a tailpiece connection is definitely an air break. Section 802.3.2 says "An air break shall be provided between the indirect waste pipe and the trap seal of the waste receptor."

Cheers, Wayne

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I agree that is a reasonable inference from the picture. But the wording doesn't exactly say that. So I think the status of a tailpiece connection under the UPC is still debatable.

Under the IPC (not relevant to the OP in California), seems like a tailpiece connection is definitely an air break. Section 802.3.2 says "An air break shall be provided between the indirect waste pipe and the trap seal of the waste receptor."

Cheers, Wayne
Copied from your earlier post.

I definitely don't think this is worth arguing over, but if they are saying physical seperation that means the piping can't connect. They then go on to say you can discharge into a low inlet in the receptor. I guess I don't know why they would say receptor if they mean tailpiece or piping.

The issue I think would be the definition of the receptor. Which must be able to be readily cleaned. Whereas a tailpiece or stand pipe cannot. Which is why standpipes have their own rules.

I think people do this a lot in hot climates Florida for example, I think a lot of them go into the tailpiece. But while it's debatable it's not done here.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Its a air conditioner condensate connects to a wye branch on a lav or sink . must be a few million in California

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks