Hello there!

Users who are viewing this thread

ChuckNJ

Reaction score
Hello to all.

I was recently directed to this web forum and I would like to introduce myself

Since I'm a remodeler, by trade, I thought that this would be the appropriate forum.

My name is Chuck

I live in central NJ and I'm a NJ Home Improvement Contractor. My work is mainly comprised of interior remodeling (bathrooms, kitchens & such), cabinetry, and any kind of repair work. I do occasionally do exterior work, windows and doors, but most of my time is spent inside the home accomplishing the needs of my clients.

I hope that this site will further improve my knowledge of residential construction. Looks as though there's a lot to be learned here.

ChuckNJ

Reaction score
geniescience said:
welcome!

what do you know best? What do you know better than most of the people you associate with? what codes do you know of and how well do you know them?

david

David,

You sure know how to punch a guy in the nose when you meet him...huh?

1. I know that I will treat my clients the way I would want to be treated.... With respect and the best possible work that I can provide them.

2. Difficult question. I honestly can't say that I know anything better than anyone. I'm continually learning, so my knowledge isn't perfected yet.....

Maybe next year ;-)

3. I have the IRC 2006, and the UCC Code book of NJ and I've read through them at times in need. I've actually spent some time browsing through sections that I thought I wouldn't use, but minimally.

I'm not an inspector, so I don't have to recite codes. I just have to be aware that there are regulations for everything and when in doubt I call the local inspector.

So, David...... what is it like living in "cold climate; airtight insulation'

Never heard of it. Is that near Toledo?

Must be in a new development that haven't been put into Mapquest yet. :)

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
glad you were able to use that opportunity to say more about yourself. I sent you an easy lob.

recently, it has become a big concern when people sign in here and start advising and commenting, and nobody knows what their background is or what sources their knowledge. So you are lightyears ahead of thousands now. You are in the top 50 already, in my opinion. Some would disagree with me and put you in the top 100. No big deal; either way you are doing fine.

Congratulations Chuck.

David

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
OK, lets be nice!

On this, as most other forums, most of us do not "hang out our shingle" for the world to see. All of us bring a wealth of professional and life experience to the forum. Most of us are careful to "follow the code" as we are aware of it....and are aware of just how much the codes vary.

So, sometimes, we just offer advice on the "right thing to do" and hopefully point out that what flies in one place may not pass muster in another.

Sometimes, a responder steps beyond the realm of his expertise and comes up with unsound advice, but that is usually quickly picked up on by others.

None of us is superman, and I guess a piece of advice to anyone seeking advice on the internet is to take it all with grain of salt, and get multiple opinions. We often see the same question on multiple forums which we participate in, and I always refrain from making any remarks like "same answer you got on yadayada forum". I applaud the consumer for doing his due diligence.

Welcome to the new member. We look forward to hearing from you. Sounds like you have a lot to contribute. Your first post sounded like you were a "handyman" rather than a licensed contractor, and for some folks here that raises there hackles, but to me it sounds like you are an experienced, quality tradesman, and we welcome your input.

ChuckNJ

Reaction score
geniescience said:
glad you were able to use that opportunity to say more about yourself. I sent you an easy lob.

recently, it has become a big concern when people sign in here and start advising and commenting, and nobody knows what their background is or what sources their knowledge. So you are lightyears ahead of thousands now. You are in the top 50 already, in my opinion. Some would disagree with me and put you in the top 100. No big deal; either way you are doing fine.

Congratulations Chuck.

David

David,

I never said that I was her to advise and comment. I just said I was here.

I do participate in other forums (construction) and I know what is necessary to be taken with seriousness.

I don't believe that it's appropriate to walk into a room full of people and start demanding answers to questions or interests without first introducing myself and allowing others to know where I'm coming from.

I'm 40 years old and I started working with a renovator when I was 15. I've had various jobs with several builders.... handy man was one, finish super, and assistant framing super was another, and I even work for a framer for a summer prior to my first year in college. I spent a small amount of time as a project manager of 2 home sites, but found that whom I was working for was not the place I wanted to be.

I re-entered the construction trade after graduating college and found that I didn't fit in the "corporate world"- a short stint at Merrill Lynch will do that to anyone.

Many years ago, I became aggravated working for large corporations who put no pride into what they did, nor cared about the outcome that occurred. I knew that I didn't want to continue cleaning up other peoples messes. I knew I could work for myself, control my outcomes and produce quality work for those who wanted it. I was tired of the BS of working for another.

So,

Do I do renovations? Yes.... around 6-12 bathrooms a year. I have a plumber who takes care of any of the changes / permit required work and I do everything else. I always pull permits when needed. I don't pull permits when I'm just freshening up an existing. I follow rules for egress when doing window installs. I make sure that any window in a bath area is fully tempered inside and out. When I do a kitchen, I have my sparky bring the room to todays code...and my plumber does all the roughs and final connections. I trust their abilities and need their work warrantied.

Do I do handyman work? Yes. Am I a Schmuck for doing handyman work? No..... Need to feed my kids.
jimbo said:
OK, lets be nice!

On this, as most other forums, most of us do not "hang out our shingle" for the world to see. All of us bring a wealth of professional and life experience to the forum. Most of us are careful to "follow the code" as we are aware of it....and are aware of just how much the codes vary.

So, sometimes, we just offer advice on the "right thing to do" and hopefully point out that what flies in one place may not pass muster in another.

Sometimes, a responder steps beyond the realm of his expertise and comes up with unsound advice, but that is usually quickly picked up on by others.

None of us is superman, and I guess a piece of advice to anyone seeking advice on the internet is to take it all with grain of salt, and get multiple opinions. We often see the same question on multiple forums which we participate in, and I always refrain from making any remarks like "same answer you got on yadayada forum". I applaud the consumer for doing his due diligence.

Welcome to the new member. We look forward to hearing from you. Sounds like you have a lot to contribute. Your first post sounded like you were a "handyman" rather than a licensed contractor, and for some folks here that raises there hackles, but to me it sounds like you are an experienced, quality tradesman, and we welcome your input.

Jimbo,

Hanging out my shingle is my only way to let you know who I am. Otherwise, I'm just a new voice that no one will pay attention to until something finally says......yeah he knows what he's doing.

I'm selective where I stick my nose into. I don't give advice on something I don't know. I not a big fan of myself personally responding to incompetent homeowner questions. I feel that the trades we're in deserves some protection with reference to "how it's done" and my lack of input will not change what they're doing.

I realize that you can go to a number of different forums and find what you're looking for, but I prefer letting others fill those shoes. It's just my personal take on it. No foul to others who do so.

If I see a person who is somewhat knowledgeable in what they're trying to achieve, have enough experience in it and I may be able to help them with the few pointers I may know..................

In that situation, I'm more that willing to help... Homeowner or not.

BTW, Jimbo Handymen, contractors, repair men are required to be registered, insured, draw up contracts, collect sales tax and yadayadaya .......... here in NJ.

When I see a thread that applies to my work, I'll be glad to post pix of my work. If you want to hold it against me for doing handyman work from time to time, then so be it.... I can't control how others feel and everyone has an opinion of how things work. I need to work and I do what I have to ....to pay the bills.

Thanks for welcoming me. I hope, that I may be able to share my knowledge with those who need it as well.

Last edited:

Pewterpower

Reaction score
Welcome aboard. I think you will find this forum to be an invaluable source of knowledge. I've been lurking around here for about a year now and have learned alot of stuff.
I'm just your typical 43 yr old homeowner who knows a little about alot, and alot about a little. These guys have given me confidence to do alot of stuff myself that I used to do myself anyway. The difference is that I now know right from wrong, and when to call in a pro.
Again, welcome aboard. :D

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Handyman

For whatever reason, the word "Handyman" is treated as a verb on this forum that is synonymous with the verb to "Jerry-rig"--with all the negative connotations that go with Jerry-rigging: shoddy, flimsy, unfinished, etc... Of course, that's when it's not being used as a noun, e.g, Handy-hacker, etc...

As a fellow Handyman who is trying to do things as professional as possible, and simply trying to eke out a living, I'm glad to have you aboard to help take up the cause.

It's time for all of us Handymen and women to unite!!

ChuckNJ

Reaction score
Cabinetry is one of my favorite tasks.

Here are a couple of little cabinets I made over the years. I enjoy cabinetry more than any other work I do.

Attachments

• Built in Entertainment 2.jpg
    Built in Entertainment 2.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 339
  • Bookcase final.jpg
    Bookcase final.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 338
  • Entertainment unit.jpg
    Entertainment unit.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 345
  • Wetbar final.jpg
    Wetbar final.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 328
  • Wetbar final b.jpg
    Wetbar final b.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 323

ChuckNJ

Reaction score
Bathrooms

I've done a few bathrooms, tile work and flooring over the years as well

Eric, I appreciate the comments. I think that handyman work has it's place, although I try to keep it to a minimum due to the limited profit resulting from it. I generally only do handyman type work for established clients. Keeping them satisfied is my main goal. You're absolutely correct about the negative connotations that the word "handyman" has, but hopefully over time, with people like yourself who enjoy and professionalize it, that viewpoint will change

Attachments

• Bath 2.jpg
    Bath 2.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 345
  • Blue bath.jpg
    Blue bath.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 328
  • Foyer Tile.jpg
    Foyer Tile.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 356
  • Flooring Install.jpg
    Flooring Install.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 317
  • Bath 1 after b..jpg
    Bath 1 after b..jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
clean work.

clean work.

i like built-ins.

a couple questions, if i may:
- do you have a provision in the code to let toilets be 12" away from certain things like tubs and maybe some vanity shapes? I have that where I am.
- do you find that the average buyer is not interested in waterproofing behind tiled shower walls?

david

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Welcome, Chuck! I'm a 48-year-old homeowner/DIY'er and have consistently found this site to be far and away the most informative, helpful, and professional one relating to the building trades. I have learned so much about plumbing, and other areas, in the last year or two. I thought I knew how to sweat solder, but I learn something new every time someone posts on this subject!

I like your cabinet work!

ChuckNJ

Reaction score
geniescience said:
clean work.

i like built-ins.

a couple questions, if i may:
- do you have a provision in the code to let toilets be 12" away from certain things like tubs and maybe some vanity shapes? I have that where I am.
- do you find that the average buyer is not interested in waterproofing behind tiled shower walls?

david

David,

If you want to get, you have to give.... I'll give one last time.

I asked you where you were and what you did..... the Toledo thing....

How about it? and while your at it, answer me the question as to why people here don't fill in their profiles. It was designed and available to forum members and ESPECIALLY MODERATORS. Why then, is it ignored? You seem to be a knowledgeable individual here, at least thats what I gather from some of your postings.

BTW, I'm not picking on anyone for not filling in their profiles. I just find it strange that they're not being utilized or encouraged.

Answers to your questions.

I don't believe that the code here will allow it. Currently, I believe that the code here is 15" from the center line of the toilet flange towards both sides. I personally wouldn't make it less than that even if it was allowed. There are a lot of really large hineys in this world and to remove possible rear end clearance in a landing would be ridiculous. A comfortable place to go is more important to me than an uncomfortable "code allowable" place to visit.

My buyers are interested in what I want to sell them. Over the years, I've developed enough knowledge and confidence in my work to guide the prospective client where I would like them to go. I don't let them dictate the structural issues of any job. I encourage them to choose their colors / types of fixtures, tile and so forth..... The decorative issues.

Other than that, I don't compromise on quality of longevity. I won't take on a job where someone wants to cut corners with protective materials which potentially could develop into future liability on my behalf. If I encounter a person who isn't willing to let me do the thinking when it comes down to the important safety / structural / waterproofing or long term reliability issues, then they can find someone else to do the job. I don't put $$$ before my reputation. I can always make more money, but a tarnished reputation is difficult to repair.

Last edited:

ChuckNJ

Reaction score
A few more pix

Here's a couple more shots.

Attachments

• Backsplash glass tile & hood.jpg
    Backsplash glass tile & hood.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 325
  • Trim surround Front Door.jpg
    Trim surround Front Door.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 318
  • Tile Hall to foyer.jpg
    Tile Hall to foyer.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 333
  • Trimmed opening a.jpg
    Trimmed opening a.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 320
  • Cabinet doors b..jpg
    Cabinet doors b..jpg
    25 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
your questions are hard to answer, chuck. I don't feel comfortable trying to summarize in few words what I now do or am about to do or have just done. My mix of interests and skills doesn't fit into a grid, and how I earn my money has changed, fairly often, while also "not changing" when viewed from another perspective.

I have always lived in cold climate zones, and that is why I know about floor heat, building insulation, heat transfer, etc. I like solid stuff, and I like dust free living so I know a lot about tile laying. I like some walls to be truly soundproof, so I know about soundproofing too. When I like something, I learn a lot about it.

I don't know why people don't fill out some or all of the fields provided in this forum software tool. Years from now, the software will be different; it will have changed, improved, evolved. At that point, it may provide other fields, or ask other questions, or find other ways to create meaningful information about who knows what, how well, how they interact, etc.

David

ChuckNJ

Reaction score
geniescience said:
your questions are hard to answer, chuck. I don't feel comfortable trying to summarize in few words what I now do or am about to do or have just done. My mix of interests and skills doesn't fit into a grid, and how I earn my money has changed, fairly often, while also "not changing" when viewed from another perspective.

I have always lived in cold climate zones, and that is why I know about floor heat, building insulation, heat transfer, etc. I like solid stuff, and I like dust free living so I know a lot about tile laying. I like some walls to be truly soundproof, so I know about soundproofing too. When I like something, I learn a lot about it.

I don't know why people don't fill out some or all of the fields provided in this forum software tool. Years from now, the software will be different; it will have changed, improved, evolved. At that point, it may provide other fields, or ask other questions, or find other ways to create meaningful information about who knows what, how well, how they interact, etc.

David

Thanks David.... I think. ;-)

Interesting that you don't feel comfortable discussing what you do. I would think with such a well-rounded background, that you say you have, that you would be able to summarize it in a simple one or two sentence paragraph.

I appreciate you trying.

As far as your specialties, I hope someday to either pick your brain on one of the topics you mentioned above, or at least find an older thread with the answers I seek.

IMO, profiles are a simplistic way of giving others a preview of what you do, what your interests are and how you spend your time. With a few words of how, where, what, when.... a simple overview of the person can be achieved. The accuracy of this overview may change from time to time and over long periods may not be relevant anymore.

I like to think of it as a way of showing ones' faith to the members of the forum by saying..... "This is me..this is where I am......what I do.... what I like....where I derive my income......

In other words..... my gift of me to the forum......a peek into my life. Yes I'm a real person, not some screen name and I'm here to be a part of the microworld called the forum.

Maybe sounds a little silly, but then again.....we all can't have the same viewpoint.

In the mean time..... I'll be lurking and reading for my own personal enhancement of knowledge.

Take care.