GE Genesis Premier Softener- Hard Water

Users who are viewing this thread

ciws14

Reaction score
I have a 5 year old Genesis Premier Softener with fine mesh resin and it was sized from a water sample I had sent in to the vendor. It is rated at 36,000 grain and worked great up until about a year ago. I noticed the water was always hard. I was barely using any salt. Less than a bag every 2-3 months. I knew there was an issue. I did a couple of manual regens with some softener "cleaner" chemicals and things seemed to be a little better. The water would be hard again, so per the vendor, I increased the number of people in the settings and set hardness to 20 grains. The other settings are Refill Time 7.0 minutes, Salt setting "standard", etc. There is typically a couple of inches of water at the bottom of the brine tank at all times. I do notice that when I add water to the brine tank (3-4 gallons) my water stays softer longer. So I have been adding water when I notice a regen on my way out the door in the morning. I will add water to the brine tank later than evening.

Any ideas on what could be going on?

Thank you!

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Personally most would consider that a disposable softener not worth repairing. You could start throwing parts at it and it may be something simple but i do not know of any technicians that would even touch that unit.

ciws14

Reaction score
Personally most would consider that a disposable softener not worth repairing. You could start throwing parts at it and it may be something simple but i do not know of any technicians that would even touch that unit.
Disposable??? Are you serious? That is one of GE's top models. What is Fleck next on your list of disposables??? I was able to get a tech out a few days ago and they replaced an injector and some o-rings. All is well now but throwing parts at it, um no. Good grief.

Thanks anyway.
:rolleyes:

Reach4

Reaction score
Can you get a service manual for that softener? A service manual tends to make things repairable by end users. But getting professional service certainly works too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks