Gas Line from meter size question - can I go bigger?

Users who are viewing this thread

El_Button

Reaction score
Hey all, maybe a dumb and obvious questions but if my meter has a 1" pipe on it then I am assuming going any bigger than that won't matter since I will always be restricted by the 1" pipe size?

I need to redo the gas line from the meter. It's abut 100 feet from the meter to my house and I was thinking of running an oversized (TBD) pipe so that I could branch off later for a planned ADU.

Obviously I would need to run proper calculations this is just ore of a general question about gas piping.

Thank you.

Chris

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hey all, maybe a dumb and obvious questions but if my meter has a 1" pipe on it then I am assuming going any bigger than that won't matter since I will always be restricted by the 1" pipe size?

I need to redo the gas line from the meter. It's abut 100 feet from the meter to my house and I was thinking of running an oversized (TBD) pipe so that I could branch off later for a planned ADU.

Obviously I would need to run proper calculations this is just ore of a general question about gas piping.

Thank you.

Chris
Yes bigger is fine won't hurt anything.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Its very often a gas line from the meter exceeds the size of incoming line or the connection at meter. you might have as large as a 2 inch line coming to house from a 1 inch
Youll probebly be running yellow poly pipe 1 1/2 maybe 2 inch ( just wild guessing on size of big house maybe a pool heater too) there is a possibility medium pressure could be allowed to regulator outside the house/houses and allow for much smaller perhaps only 3/4 inch pipe . Especialy if you had a existing gas line the Authority may allow you to up the pressure to medium rather than require you to dig and install a new bigger main.