Garbage Disposal Clogged - already used a 25' snake

Users who are viewing this thread

KBrum

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm in need of some help as I have very little plumbing knowledge and this is the first time I've had a disposal in my home.

My garbage disposal is backing up into my sinks. I started with a sink plunger (but didn't cover the sink overflow to increase pressure), followed it with turning the motor with an allen wrench (moves freely, no resistance or humming when I run it), took apart the pipe line (no clog in the lines down to the trap). My PVC pipes are cemented together starting after the trap pipe, so I was unable to remove the trap and other pipes leading to the main drain at the back of the wall. I did however run a 25' snake all the way down through the trap twice. There wasn't much caught in the snake when I pulled it back out either time. The second time there was very little resistance at the end. Felt more like working through bends in the pipeline (but again I have very little knowledge about any of this). It was still clogged. I then put Liquid Plumber down it (I know. Probably bad) hoping it would break up whatever is left in the drain. So far no luck.

When I run the disposal, it pushes water up into the opposite sink, then slowly drains back into the disposal sink until even. But running the disposal does decrease the amount of water.

Do I just need a longer snake? Did my snake go down the wrong pipes somehow? I do have a dishwasher right next to the sinks, but am afraid to run it in case it backs up.

Attached is a photo of what I believe is an access to the main drain, but am unsure. I sent the snake down it once (before I better understood how to use the snake) and kept hitting something that would rattle (like metal). There is a picture of the snake I used as well.

Please help :( . I am not looking to hire anyone ($$$$) but if there is no hope of me doing this myself, I'll do what I have to do.

Thank you!!

Attachments

• 20190717_083942.jpg
    20190717_083942.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 275
  • 20190717_085153.jpg
    20190717_085153.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 251

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The plug in the wall is your cleanout.
I don't know how old your disposer is, but anything over eight years can be an issue. I know someone will say theirs is sixteen years and still spinning, but spinning and chipping food matter small enough to float downstream are different items we're looking at.

Sometimes while snaking a drain it helps it water is flowing to wash down what you are knocking loose. Using the top cleanout may help with that.
Make sure the snake is heading downwards.

KBrum

Reaction score
The plug in the wall is your cleanout.
I don't know how old your disposer is, but anything over eight years can be an issue. I know someone will say theirs is sixteen years and still spinning, but spinning and chipping food matter small enough to float downstream are different items we're looking at.

Sometimes while snaking a drain it helps it water is flowing to wash down what you are knocking loose. Using the top cleanout may help with that.
Make sure the snake is heading downwards.

Disposal is only a couple years old, I was told. I will try hot water and the top cleanout (I'm guessing the plug I put a picture of) to clear the way. Could it be grease/oil? Any hope of me cleaning it out if this is the case?

Thank you for responding!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks