Flooding Septic Tank due to Underground Spring

Users who are viewing this thread

amandar

Reaction score
Hi all! I am new to this forum and I am reaching out because I simply do not know where else to turn. I bought my first house just about a year ago. We started having plumbing issues almost immediately which were due to ancient cast iron pipes. So, we have replaced those to PVC. Everything was working fine.

Fast forward 10 months.

It has started to rain more substantially. About two weeks ago, it rained for two days straight and our system started to fail. Upon opening the clean out valve, I was under the impression that our system had flooded - which it had. So, after researching flooded systems online, it seemed like the best thing to do is to restrict water usage to the bare minimum - which we did. More rain came and the system stayed flooded. Now, two weeks after this has started, I have a septic company come to our house. They open the lid to our tank and it is indeed full to the brim with water. They pump it out, but more water just keeps coming in from the drain field - which I had assumed was just accumulated rain water. But to find out from talking with my neighbors, apparently there is an underground stream that runs along the backyards of everyone on our block. Everyone's systems gets flooded because of it. One of the neighbors had spent roughly $10000 on their system (I'm not sure what all exactly they tried), but to no avail, they still deal with a flooded system due to this underground stream. Now, two days after our 1000 G tank was pumped for $500, it is now completely flooded again. Back to square one.

My question is: What can I do about this or is there anything that can be done about this? I have been unable to find anything completely in relation to this yet.

I'm hoping to talk with the city and see if they have any plans of expanding the sewer system within the next couple years, but beyond that, it's hard for me to see any solution. I appreciate any and all ideas - as I currently have no idea where to turn.

Thanks in advance!

Reach4

Reaction score
Search for septic system mound in a search engine.

I suggest you edit your other post to just be the word "delete".

Are there many houses nearby? Are there sewers nearby? A governmental unit might run sewers for a bunch of you, but it would cost you. And then you would have a regular sewer bill, plus your property taxes would probably go up.

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Do you have a sump pump that might be discharging into the septic line? Are your downspouts directed away to prevent ground saturation?

If the ground water table is higher than your septic system, then pumping up to a mound system may be needed. In these parts, it is code that our drain field be mounded. The field pipe has to be at least a foot above grade.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
If MUNICIPAL SEWER is an option, then absolutely 100% go that route. If city sewer is not an option, hire a backhoe guy to dig a relief trench so you can tell that excess water where to go. If this is effecting several households, pool funds together and hire a guy with large equipment to dig a large pond; a place for that underground aquifer to dump. Even if the septic tank was on top of the ground, you have to protect that leech field to keep it from filing up with water. Community pond may be your best (and cheapest) option http://www.homeservicestriad.com/

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks