Faucet thread sealing bspp

Users who are viewing this thread

ColinMcM

Reaction score
I am trying to seal a wall mount faucet for a lavatory/bathroom my wife purchased from Morocco. We live in the US, but the thread on the moroccan piece is BSPP G 1/2. I got some G 1/2 dowty sealing washers (steel band with a neoprene gasket inside, and that worked to seal the connections on the valve body, where I'm going to an BSPP to NPT adapter and from there on down the line with PEX plastic pipe. It also worked to seal the faucet connection to the valve body. Body on this piece is concealed in wall, and the tap and two tap handles all thread into it. Problem is the tap handle threads are very short, and the G 1/2 dowty sealing washer doesn't fit and still allow me to start the threads on the handles. What are the pro plumber tricks for sealing something like this? I tried a double wrap of Teflon tape and it still leaked a little when the handles were open. Pipe dope? Loctite 577 or 55? Thank you!

20220127_142002.jpg

20220127_141418.jpg
20220127_141500.jpg
20220127_141530.jpg
20220127_141409.jpg

Fitter30

Reaction score
Try taking your Teflon tape twist it so its like a string and long enough for three or four wraps around base of threads close to the handle side up against the flange.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
A pro plumber would never touch that and walk away.
I have rejected imports that customers have purchased from many different countries.
Never would we bury that in a wall permanently. Maybe for an outdoor shower all exposed.

ColinMcM

Reaction score
Thanks for replies guys! I will try the twisted tape. I've been watching british plumbing videos and they seem really excited over there about this loctite 55 stuff. I got some to try.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Loctite makes a liquid gasket. I think it needs to dry prior to introducing line pressure though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks