Sealing large water filter joints

Users who are viewing this thread

Tomdude

Half Fast Handyman
Reaction score
Good Afternoon - I recently found my well is contaminated with PFOA courtesy of a local company that was dumping the stuff. I bought 2 very large carbon filters that have plastic heads and housings with 1 inch female npt connections. The local well water is very acid so I wanted all plastic fittings to eliminate corrosion. I bought two fittings. 3/4 pex by 3/4 male pipe thread and a 3/4 by I inch pvc reducer. My question is how to seal these threads? Teflon tape, pipe dope, or both ?

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Teflon tape (which is one giant source of pfao, lol) wrapped 3 to 4 wraps on the male threads, then uses the edge of the roll of Teflon tape to work the tape into the base of the threads. Then dope over the top of that. That will help the tape slide into the female threads. Your are now sealed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks