extra holes in bottom of kohler san souci elongated toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

David440

Reaction score

KOHLER K-5172-0 San Souci Comfort Height Compact Elongated 1.28 GPF Toilet with extra holes in bottom - forward of main waste hole.​

Water leaking on floor every few days (NOT with every flush).

How to 'plug' these extra holes???

Reach4

Reaction score
If it was a hole in the toilet, I would think the water leakage would not be just every few days.
1. Talk everybody into sitting, rather than standing, at least until this is resolved.
2. Close the lid between uses in case the dog is a sloppy drinker.

Another thing to consider is to put a water alarm where the liquid appears. If there is a miss by a user, or the water is flowing from the shower area, the alarm sounds off.

Another test is to lay Kleenex tissues around the toilet base. See which edge gets wet.

David440

Reaction score
1674679774283.jpeg
If it was a hole in the toilet, I would think the water leakage would not be just every few days.
1. Talk everybody into sitting, rather than standing, at least until this is resolved.
2. Close the lid between uses in case the dog is a sloppy drinker.

Another thing to consider is to put a water alarm where the liquid appears. If there is a miss by a user, or the water is flowing from the shower area, the alarm sounds off.

Another test is to lay Kleenex tissues around the toilet base. See which edge gets wet.
Thank you Reach4 - for the reply and ideas about the possible cause of this problem with the Kohler San Souci toilet..

The water on the floor (coming from underneath the toilet) is definitely not a case of ‘standing’ rather than ‘sitting’.

Also, we don’t have any pets or children.

There is an extra hole in the siphon canal leading to the bowl rim.

We’ve been told that these holes were caused by ‘hanging’ the toilet to dry/cure from these points during manufacture.

There are similar holes in each of the ‘replacement’ toilets we received from Kohler.

1674679774283.jpeg

Attached is an image of the underside of the toilet. In this orientation, the front of the toilet is at the top of the image.

Thanks again.
David

Reach4

Reaction score
There are vent at allows air to escape during firing. If this would be in a place that could let water out, they would routinely plug the hole before shipping.

David440

Reaction score
There are vent at allows air to escape during firing. If this would be in a place that could let water out, they would routinely plug the hole before shipping.
Thanks again. ...And, how can I plug these downward facing holes? For example, will a product like "PC-11", White Epoxy Paste adhere to the glazed Finish of the toilet? And, can I use epoxy resin with fiberglass cloth to 'span' the hole?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks again. ...And, how can I plug these downward facing holes? For example, will a product like "PC-11", White Epoxy Paste adhere to the glazed Finish of the toilet? And, can I use epoxy resin with fiberglass cloth to 'span' the hole?
If you havent yet installed the toilet set the bowl up on blocks high enough to observe the area where the hole is and dump water down the bowl simulating flushing. If any water shows up at that extra hole, then you have a defective toilet that either your retailer/wholesaler will warranty or Kohler will warranty the toilet. They have replaced many toilets for me over the years. Defects happen and that is why they have a Lifetime Warranty against defects.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Didnt dawn on me that china was lifetime Warranty , I only thought of faucets and valves.
I go back to when nothing was lifetime
Sure you can silicone the hole or epoxy . I just dont fix stuff like that maybe Id try it on my own property if I was sure that if it leaked it wouldnt cause property damage I think its not wise to attempt especialy on an upper floor

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks