ELECTRICAL QUESTION

Users who are viewing this thread

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
You seem to be confusing Watts, a unit of power (energy/time) with Watt-Hr, a unit of energy (literally 1 Watt for 1 Hr).

So 1000W is exactly that. If it runs at nameplate rating for 1 Hr, it will generate 1000 Watt-Hrs, i.e. 1 kWh.

Making use of such a generator is tricky. The power straight out of the generator may not be very smooth, or it may not be 60 Hz (if it's a simple generator where the output frequency varies with the rotor speed). So it may need to go through a rectifier/inverter. Then if it's a standalone system, you'd need storage (batteries) and a mechanism to instantaneously balance supply and demand. If it's grid-tied, you'd need a grid-tie inverter and the usual permission from the power company, just like a solar installation.

Cheers, Wayne

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
You seem to be confusing Watts, a unit of power (energy/time) with Watt-Hr, a unit of energy (literally 1 Watt for 1 Hr).

So 1000W is exactly that. If it runs at nameplate rating for 1 Hr, it will generate 1000 Watt-Hrs, i.e. 1 kWh.

Making use of such a generator is tricky. The power straight out of the generator may not be very smooth, or it may not be 60 Hz (if it's a simple generator where the output frequency varies with the rotor speed). So it may need to go through a rectifier/inverter. Then if it's a standalone system, you'd need storage (batteries) and a mechanism to instantaneously balance supply and demand. If it's grid-tied, you'd need a grid-tie inverter and the usual permission from the power company, just like a solar installation.

Cheers, Wayne

so if a 1000w generator runs for 1 hour, it will produce 1kwh
so 24kwh hour per day
8760kwh per year
and the power company will credit me .13 per kilowatt hour
so the little hydro-generator in the creek would potentially generate $1138 per year

so I would be better off installing a 5kw hydro generator with a grid-tie inverter

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks