Drip leak in copper elbow 1/2" hot water what is best fix?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
A lot of stuff to us that done awhile seems easy and is easy but starting out was very forieghn trying to figure how hot where to put heat etc. video and practice and water in pipe is no freind to soldering!

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
^^^In addition to the "no standing water in the pipe" ^^^, quality solder and flux and careful prepping of pipe, it's also possible to overheat the joint and burn off the flux (particularly cheap flux). When done properly, the solder should be immediately sucked into the joint and circle the entire fitting. Watch some videos and practice on some copper, once you get a feel for it, you'll see it's not that difficult but it is very rewarding and handy to know that skill.

John

Last edited:

Hogan

Reaction score
^^^In addition to the "no standing water in the pipe" ^^^, quality solder and flux and careful prepping of pipe, it's also possible to overheat the joint and burn off the flux (particularly cheap flux). When done properly, the solder should be immediately sucked into the joint and circle the entire fitting. Watch some videos and practice on some copper, once you get a feel for it, you'll see it's not that difficult but it is very rewarding and handy to know that skill.

John
Yep

I have learned many skills over time. Have saved thousands and gotten satisfaction by learning how to work on our cars. Also lots of DIY around the house. I prob won't need to install copper pipe however I am gonna try to learn this as it seems like the "right way" to make this fix. Also I could see it leading to me being able to DIY a water heater install at some point in the future (haven't needed to do ours yet but I recall looking at the piping above and thinking that I might need to hire someone when the time comes because of the soldering)

Will spend a few extra bucks on some pieces to practice on first. Worst case if it seems like my practice joints just suck then I will buy a push to fit but if I go straight to shark bites right now I think it will always bother me a little to look up at them haha, knowing I could have matched it all with a sweated joint

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
Yep

I have learned many skills over time. Have saved thousands and gotten satisfaction by learning how to work on our cars.

And we have so many resources available to us. My wife's car needed the door latch assembly to be replaced. I watched three different youtube videos (all three different but all three techs doing a bit of swearing). I was able to replace the door latch and an hour and 15 minutes. Dealer cost about $500, part cost $50.

edge door (1) (1).jpg

Hogan

Reaction score
Yep JohnCT both YouTube and internet forums like this have really helped to DIY so many things.

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
If you have an interest in plumbing and want to go old school, I would suggest Creative Homeowner: Ultimate Plumbing. When I got into plumbing I read everything the library had and this book was by far the best I found.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks