Does this copper elbow look okay?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mosho

Reaction score
I noticed this copper elbow right after the main supply valve looks a little funny, flattened or something compared to new ones:

1661109750110.jpeg

Should I replace it? Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That's been there a while I'm guessing.
It must have been bent after being soldered is what I'm guessing. They don't make fittings that look like that. It's exposed, I guess it could be replaced. And then, it might last longer than the home.

Mosho

Reaction score
That's been there a while I'm guessing.
It must have been bent after being soldered is what I'm guessing. They don't make fittings that look like that. It's exposed, I guess it could be replaced. And then, it might last longer than the home.

Cool, thanks! And yes been there for at least a few decades I would guess

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm thinking they bent it to fit. Which means if you tried to replace it with a non bent 90 your going to have some trouble.

Mosho

Reaction score
I'm thinking they bent it to fit. Which means if you tried to replace it with a non bent 90 your going to have some trouble.
Bent it to fit what? The other copper pipes? If so, I recently changed everything to the left of the image after the meter to PEX so that shouldn't be a problem anymore.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Bent it to fit what? The other copper pipes? If so, I recently changed everything to the left of the image after the meter to PEX so that shouldn't be a problem anymore.
How would I know this with the picture you provided? In most cases the copper assembly would be ridgid and fixed. Which means your two pipes are not at a90 degrees angle from each other, which then means your putting a90 in there would be tough. If there's something out of frame that I can't see then my answer is only going to reflect what I can see and what would be a normal installation.

Reach4

Reaction score
Plumber ran out of 90s and bent a 45. Just kidding.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks