DIY vent design

Users who are viewing this thread

Graham Love

Reaction score
Im adding a basement bath (WC,Lav, Shower and Washing Machine). Can I pipe the bath group into a "dry vent" and hook it into a 2" drain line serving a sink and dishwasher from the floor above. This 2" drain line is a common 1.5" dry vent above the dishwasher/ kitchen sink.

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
Don't be demanding. Go online and learn how to properly illustrate a plumbing layout proposal with sketches, dimensions and actual photos then you will get all the help you need.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Are you asking if the vent from basement can connect to another vent yes you can do that . but if you want to connect the vent from bathroom in basement to a drainline above no that cant be done.

Graham Love

Reaction score
Yes, that is what i was asking. I attempted a better drawing per James Henry's advice.
But, per your response, i will need to edit the dry vent connection from the basement bath to a point above the kitchen sink. Thank you for your help!

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Other venting issues:

- You need to provide a dry vent for the lav
- The shower and WC dry vents don't work, you can't run a dry vent under the slab. The dry vent takeoff has to be vertical (at most 45 degrees from plumb) and stay vertical until at least 6" above the fixture flood rim.
- UPC or IPC? You have the option to wet vent the WC and/or shower if you can get the dry vented lav drain (on its own, with no fixtures from outside the bathroom) to the WC and/or shower drains.

Cheers, Wayne

Graham Love

Reaction score
Other venting issues:

- You need to provide a dry vent for the lav
- The shower and WC dry vents don't work, you can't run a dry vent under the slab. The dry vent takeoff has to be vertical (at most 45 degrees from plumb) and stay vertical until at least 6" above the fixture flood rim.
- UPC or IPC? You have the option to wet vent the WC and/or shower if you can get the dry vented lav drain (on its own, with no fixtures from outside the bathroom) to the WC and/or shower drains.

Cheers, Wayne
I redited the drawing to show independent dry vent for the Lav and wet vent the WC & shower.
IPC

If it ends up being easier- can I run the dry vent to the 3" Main stack instead of the secondary kitchen vent.

Thank you all for the help!

Attachments

• Julie Iso Rev 1.pdf
    676.4 KB · Views: 50

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I suggest you add a cleanout on the wet vent around the toilet area. Your have 5 90° bends in that wet vent section maybe after the first two 90's make an accessible cleanout.

Graham Love

Reaction score
I suggest you add a cleanout on the wet vent around the toilet area. Your have 5 90° bends in that wet vent section maybe after the first two 90's make an accessible cleanout.
I added a cleanout to the drawing. Thank you!

Attachments

• Julie Iso Rev 2.pdf
    676.5 KB · Views: 49

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is this UPC or IPC?

For the UPC you have a problem because the WC needs a 2" vent path to the roof. So the lav dry vent needs to be 2" and can't connect to the 1.5" dry vent you show upstairs on the kitchen sink. IPC only requires a 1.5" dry vent for the WC, so this is not a problem.

Additional requirements for the UPC (a) the distance from the shower trap to the combo where it joins the lav is at most 60", and the fall at most 2" and (b) the distance along the pipe from the closet flange to the wye where the WC drain joins the lav and shower is at most 72".

The IPC gives you more flexibility--you may join the lav drain to the WC first, rather than having to bring it around to the shower drain, and the shower trap arm may be 8' long (although that requires a perfect 1/4" per foot slope). And the WC fixture drain length is unlimited.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
1 1/2 might be ok then! are you a relative of Terry Love? not such a common name Either way you are getting help thats good

Graham Love

Reaction score
Is this UPC or IPC?

For the UPC you have a problem because the WC needs a 2" vent path to the roof. So the lav dry vent needs to be 2" and can't connect to the 1.5" dry vent you show upstairs on the kitchen sink. IPC only requires a 1.5" dry vent for the WC, so this is not a problem.

Additional requirements for the UPC (a) the distance from the shower trap to the combo where it joins the lav is at most 60", and the fall at most 2" and (b) the distance along the pipe from the closet flange to the wye where the WC drain joins the lav and shower is at most 72".

The IPC gives you more flexibility--you may join the lav drain to the WC first, rather than having to bring it around to the shower drain, and the shower trap arm may be 8' long (although that requires a perfect 1/4" per foot slope). And the WC fixture drain length is unlimited.

Cheers, Wayne
Wayne,
This is IPC, so I edited drawing to wet vent the lav directly to WC 3" and the shower drain connects to driectly WC drain under 8'.

Attachments

• Julie DWV iso Rev 4.pdf
    719.7 KB · Views: 46

Graham Love

Reaction score
1 1/2 might be ok then! are you a relative of Terry Love? not such a common name Either way you are getting help thats good
Not that I know of, but I wouldn't be surprised if our family trees meet up somewhere? Very appreciative of all the experts knowledge, this is all fun for me.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks