DIY sump pump basin

Users who are viewing this thread

Ned Savage

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking to bury a sump pump basin in my basement. The prefabricated basin they sell at Lowe's seems expensive for what it is, and the round shape means I'll do a lot of digging that doesn't seem necessary.

The particular pump I have has a large float that swings pretty wide of pump body. I know I need plenty of room so that there's no chance the float will get stuck against the basin wall. But while the swinging float arm needs room to operate, the other sides of the pump don't have moving parts to require the same space. It seems the round shape of prefab basins are a waste - what I'm thinking I really need is an elongated oval or rectangle shape, where the pump sits at one side, and the arm swings freely in the elongated void.

Looking around at what I have, it seems an old cooler is about the right dimensions and would do the trick. If I punch plenty of tiny holes in the cooler, bury it, and set the pump in one side, where the float arm will swing in the center of the cooler, is there any reason that wouldn't work?