Crimp Rings Bad Batch ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
Well ... this is a new one for me. I was working on my bathtub swap out project, which included replacing the shower valve and temporarily moving a baseboard hot water heater. About 1/2 way through, I opened a new bag of copper crimp rings (Sharkbite Brand). All of a sudden, the rings did not want to go on the pipe and would not pass the 'Go' test. I went to the store and got a different brand (Aquadynamic) and the problem instantly resolved. Has anyone ever seen this before?

Eman85

Reaction score
I just opened and used some of a new bag Sharkbite 3/4" copper rings and they were fine. My 1/2" bag is a little older and they're fine.

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
I just opened and used some of a new bag Sharkbite 3/4" copper rings and they were fine. My 1/2" bag is a little older and they're fine.
I am not anti-Sharkbite … I have used them previously with no problems. I just switched brands to make sure I did not get another bag from the same production run.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
Well ... this is a new one for me. I was working on my bathtub swap out project, which included replacing the shower valve and temporarily moving a baseboard hot water heater. About 1/2 way through, I opened a new bag of copper crimp rings (Sharkbite Brand). All of a sudden, the rings did not want to go on the pipe and would not pass the 'Go' test. I went to the store and got a different brand (Aquadynamic) and the problem instantly resolved. Has anyone ever seen this before?

Did you mic them and compare to the Aquadynamic rings? I wonder if they are for something else and got bagged wrong.

John

Reach4

Reaction score
Did you mic them and compare to the Aquadynamic rings? I wonder if they are for something else and got bagged wrong.

John
Such as they are copper color, instead of the regular black one. The Sharkbite PB transition couplers use a black ring for the PEX side and a copper-colored ring for the PB side.