Convert Toto flapper flush to tower flush?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hi all,
Is it possible to convert the older flapper style flush with the tower style mechanism?

I have four toto toilets (2x Dartmouth, 1x Promenade, and 1x EcoDrake). 3 of them have the flapper style and the newest of the Dartmouth models has a tower. That one seems to flush the most consistently and two of the flapper ones seem to get hung up on the chain and not seat sometimes. All setup exactly per Toto's instructions on the repair parts.

Also, the flappers only seem to last a few years before developing a small leak. Not the worst repair but if it's possible to convert all of them to the tower flush then I might do that the next time they need a new flapper.

Thanks,
Anthony

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Never tried or thought about it. You might have to check with toto or fluidmaster, or corky. let us know how it works out if you can

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
As long as the hole in the tank is a diameter that you could seal the tower I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. But similar to Jeff, its not something I would need to do professionally so I have no experience doing it.

Reaction score
It was more of a curiosity, especially with the one whose chain keeps getting tangled and won't seat. I don't know what my kids are doing to make that happen.

Thanks.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
A trick I learned from my dad was to cut a small bit of drinking straw to slide down the chain. When the chain loses tension, the straw makes the bottom portion fall away from the flapper.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've done this it works fine. You just need compatible parts. It's been a long while since I've done it so I don't remember details.

BECplumbing

Plumbing Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi all,
Is it possible to convert the older flapper style flush with the tower style mechanism?

I have four toto toilets (2x Dartmouth, 1x Promenade, and 1x EcoDrake). 3 of them have the flapper style and the newest of the Dartmouth models has a tower. That one seems to flush the most consistently and two of the flapper ones seem to get hung up on the chain and not seat sometimes. All setup exactly per Toto's instructions on the repair parts.

Also, the flappers only seem to last a few years before developing a small leak. Not the worst repair but if it's possible to convert all of them to the tower flush then I might do that the next time they need a new flapper.

Thanks,
Anthony
I believe those Toto toilets use a 3 inch flush valve so as long as it is 3 inches in diameter it should be possible

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
I'd first recommend using the adjustable flush universal flappers. That way you can set the timing of the flush precisely.
Fluidmaster with silicone seal is excellent.

TJRAD

Reaction score
Here is the toto tower conversion chart. just match the model number of your toto toilet to get the right tower.
The tower is a good upgrade for your older totos.
Good luck.

Attachments

• totochart.jpeg
    totochart.jpeg
    155 KB · Views: 97

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here is the toto tower conversion chart. just match the model number of your toto toilet to get the right tower.
The tower is a good upgrade for your older totos.
Good luck.
is it readable ? Thanks for posting but too blurry to read on a lap top . hopefully clear for others Im not doing this job just letting you know

TJRAD

Reaction score
Looks like I'm unable to get a high resolution to upload.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks