Cast iron drain replace with s trap

Users who are viewing this thread

Duane G Lindstrom

Jack of all trades master of none
Reaction score
Hi
My question is i have a old house with cast iron plumbing. On second floor under tub there is a straight pipe with a little elbow attached to tub because of only 6 inches of space. Is it a good idea to make the tub high enough to fit a s trap. Then put a step.for getting out of tub. Or what else could i do with only 6 inch of space under tub floor

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
There probably is a trap below the floor. S traps are not allowed and will cause problems. If there is a trap below the floor, a second trap added will not drain properly. (Don't fix what's not broke).

Duane G Lindstrom

Reaction score
There probably is a trap below the floor. S traps are not allowed and will cause problems. If there is a trap below the floor, a second trap added will not drain properly. (Don't fix what's not broke).

There is no trap below just like 2 feet of cast iron off the cast iron stink pipe then a small elbow with a trap inside to stop gas from coming up plus drains the water together. That cast iron pipe comes out off roof to let gas out and goes thru 2nd floor and ist floor to basement. So i will leave it alone and attacth a new tub to the cast iron

Another question the cast iron pipe goes into basement has about a 6 foot crack. Will pvc pipe work for replacing the cracked pipe or is the load of the to much for the pvc pipe to handle.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Another question the cast iron pipe goes into basement has about a 6 foot crack. Will pvc pipe work for replacing the cracked pipe or is the load of the to much for the pvc pipe to handle.
You need to support the cast iron above before you start cutting out the lower stuff.

A riser clamp is one type of support that may help you in this.

Duane G Lindstrom

Reaction score
You need to support the cast iron above before you start cutting out the lower stuff.

A riser clamp is one type of support that may help you in this.
So if i put in a riser clamp i can attach the 6 ft pvc pipe. Is the cast iron pipe clamped to wall up to roof so that can help with holding the vertical load with the riser clamp also.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Besure to use Furnco Couplings with the SS ban.

shopping
Raiser Clamp

1056-44sr-3.jpg

Duane G Lindstrom

Reaction score
I have another question i have done plumbing jobs changing lines under sinks tubs as house is already built my question is i have one metal drain pipe that was attached to sink drain pipe. My question is its connected to the sewer cast iron pipe. This one drain pipe is about 4 feet long say on east side of bathroom now i am putting a shower on west side corner and toilet on right west side other corner. Can i run 2 extra pvc tees off the same drain pipe for sink to shower and toilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks