Can network cables be in contact with hot water pipes?

Users who are viewing this thread

uscpsycho

Reaction score
I have a shower that is operated by a network controller. The way my contractor set it up, the controller will be close to the valve. Is it OK for cat6 cable to be in contact with a hot water pipe? It would not run parallel to the pipe, it would perpendicularly cross it, so just one point of contact.

If this isn't OK, is there any kind of insulation or barrier I can use to keep the cable from touching the hot water pipe?

For those who aren't familiar with it, cat6 is a low voltage wire like the cables you plug into your router. These aren't high voltage wires so I don't think fire is a risk but I want to be sure the heat won't damage or melt the network cable.

Last edited:

Mliu

Reaction score
CAT6 cable is typically rated to 75°C which is significantly higher than your hot water would ever be. That said, heat will degrade the cable over time, particularly since this is probably a POE application. I'd go down to your local hardware or big box store and buy a section of foam pipe insulation. Cheap and easy insurance.

ss3964spd

Reaction score
Which system is it, psycho, Moen's or Kohler's?

Regardless, the heat from the pipe isn't likely to affect the wire. Frankly, I'd be more concerned with the cable rubbing on the pipe and abrading the jacket from vibration. If the cable can't be re-routed in such a way to avoid touching the pipe just use a thin bit of foam - like that used for pipe insulation, and wire-tie the cable to the pipe.

uscpsycho

Reaction score
Which system is it, psycho, Moen's or Kohler's?

Regardless, the heat from the pipe isn't likely to affect the wire. Frankly, I'd be more concerned with the cable rubbing on the pipe and abrading the jacket from vibration. If the cable can't be re-routed in such a way to avoid touching the pipe just use a thin bit of foam - like that used for pipe insulation, and wire-tie the cable to the pipe.
It's Kohler DTV+.

Unfortunately, there's not a way to avoid having the network cable cross the pipes. At least not without a very major reboot that I'd like to avoid.

Even adding insulation between the cable and the pipe might be a challenge because everything is so tight. The only pipe insulation I'm familiar with is something I had put on the pipes running from my steam generator to the steam shower. But that was pretty thick, at least 1/2 inch as I recall. I definitely don't have room for that. Would something like a piece of neoprene do the trick? Or maybe something like those thin pieces of styrofoam used as packing material? There's very little contact between pipe and cable, just at the point where the cables cross the pipe.

Mliu

Reaction score
How much space do you have? A photo would be helpful. What is obstructing the other side of the cable? Can you attach the cable to that and leave an air gap between the cable and the pipe?

Styrofoam is rigid and is crumbly, especially in thin sheets. Or are you talking about the translucent, spongy, flexible sheets (often pink)?

Plumbs

In the Trades
Reaction score
If space is an issue you can get heat shield tubing at most auto parts stores. It's very thin and if it work well under a hood I don't see why it wouldn't work for your setup.

ss3964spd

Reaction score
I bet a couple layers of double sided tape between the pipe and cable would do the trick, hold the cable still with plastic wire ties.

uscpsycho

Reaction score
How much space do you have? A photo would be helpful. What is obstructing the other side of the cable? Can you attach the cable to that and leave an air gap between the cable and the pipe?

Styrofoam is rigid and is crumbly, especially in thin sheets. Or are you talking about the translucent, spongy, flexible sheets (often pink)?
On the other side of the cable is an access panel door. Contractor didn't leave enough room so when the door is closed it is pressed against the cable and the cable is sandwiched between the pipe and the access panel door. So I can squeeze something thin between the cable and the pipe but not much.

Yes, when I said styrofoam I meant the spongy flexible sheets. Sometimes they make envelopes out of them and ship parts in them for extra cushioning. The ones I see are usually white.

It sounds like heat shield tubing might be the perfect way to Macgyver this thing since it is so thin. Is this what you are referring to?

Only hiccup is heat shield tubing might be a challenge at this point because I'd have to disconnect one end of the cable to run the tubing to the contact point and it was a pain getting everything to fit the first time. Double sided tape (or piece of styrofoam sheet) would be easier because I could just stick a piece where I need it. Is that heat resistant for long-term use? Do you mean actual double sided tape (like scotch tape) or mounting tape like this? I'm assuming the latter.

Mliu

Reaction score
Heat-shield tubing is typically a woven fiberglass sheath with foil or some kind of coating on the outside. It would work but it's a rather expensive solution and I would consider it overkill.

I see no problem with using the flexible spongy foam (I believe it is polyethylene foam), although I would avoid using the kind with the paper backing because that could provide a surface for mold to grow on. Wrap a piece of the foam around the pipe and secure it with a couple of small zip ties.

Plumbs

In the Trades
Reaction score
On the other side of the cable is an access panel door. Contractor didn't leave enough room so when the door is closed it is pressed against the cable and the cable is sandwiched between the pipe and the access panel door. So I can squeeze something thin between the cable and the pipe but not much.

Yes, when I said styrofoam I meant the spongy flexible sheets. Sometimes they make envelopes out of them and ship parts in them for extra cushioning. The ones I see are usually white.

It sounds like heat shield tubing might be the perfect way to Macgyver this thing since it is so thin. Is this what you are referring to?

Only hiccup is heat shield tubing might be a challenge at this point because I'd have to disconnect one end of the cable to run the tubing to the contact point and it was a pain getting everything to fit the first time. Double sided tape (or piece of styrofoam sheet) would be easier because I could just stick a piece where I need it. Is that heat resistant for long-term use? Do you mean actual double sided tape (like scotch tape) or mounting tape like this? I'm assuming the latter.

This is the stuff I recommended. They also sell some which is split so you don't have to disconnect any cables or wiring. After you slide it on you can just use zip ties to hold it in place.
https://www.amazon.com/Thermal-Zero...t=&hvlocphy=9007576&hvtargid=pla-646491245898

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Low voltage residential wiring (less than 48 volts-analog telephone) has virtually no restriction other than it cannot be inside conduit shared with line voltage cable & wire. CAT 5 and most data cable work on 3.5v to 5 volts. Might have +12v for line powered devices through the CAT cable.

uscpsycho

Reaction score
This is the stuff I recommended. They also sell some which is split so you don't have to disconnect any cables or wiring. After you slide it on you can just use zip ties to hold it in place.
https://www.amazon.com/Thermal-Zero...t=&hvlocphy=9007576&hvtargid=pla-646491245898

This isn't quite right but it helped me find lots of other options that will be perfect. And not too expensive, many are under $10 even though I'll only be using about $0.05 worth. At least I'll have it on hand if I ever have another need for it.

Thanks for all the help guys! This was definitely a fringe plumbing question so I appreciate you guys brainstorming for me.

If any mods see this, I am not getting email notifications even though I am subscribed to this thread.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks