Can a professional plumber answer this question re closet flanges

Users who are viewing this thread

SGKent

Reaction score
Have to replace at least one ABS toilet flange in concrete. I believe it is an inside 4" outside 3" that was used about 10 years ago to replace a 4" outside original from 1979. I have ordered Reed tool(s) to remove the present flange. My plumber has been busy and evasive on how he wants to fix it so I am preparing to do it myself if he lacks the proper toilet flange remover (Reed TFR400). The big question is which brand flange do I replace it with - I really can't do this again due to arthritis, and with new flooring we can't jackhammer the area around the old flange that sits on concrete. Tapcon screws don't seem to have much to bite in the concrete either so I cannot rely just on the screws to hold a simple replacement ring. I believe that renoviing the old one with the proper tools and replacing it with an ABS flange with a stainless ring is the best solution. Using another (inside 4" outside 3") replacement will be the easiest - I do not believe there is enough room to chip off the original 40 year old abs exterior 4" outside flange remains, which were left when the original 1979 flange was cut off. Of these three ABS flanges w/ stainless rings available to me, which would you choose?

Ferguson Proflo - example: PROFLO® 4 X 3 in. Plastic ABS Closet Flange with Stainless Steel Ring | Ferguson

Sioux Chief TKO (I watched video how to properly remove knockout) - example: Sioux Chief Tko 3 x 4 Abs Closet Flange With Stainless Steel Ring | Ferguson

Oatey from big box store - example: Oatey® 3 - 4 in. ABS EZ IPT Tap on Pipe Closet Flange with Stainless Steel Ring | Ferguson

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
All those SS ringed flanges are good...no preferences.
Anchoring is the thing...the glue joint is not the only thing to secure a toilet.
Drilling concrete, placing epoxy anchor drop-ins and non-corroding screws.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
SGKent... of the Samba site?

I hadn't realized that Reed made a tool to reem flanges out of 4" pipe. I might need to buy another new tool.. The reed reemers leave a very nice surface to glue to.

I agree with Breplum that any of those flanges are good.

Seems like a new flange would likely have holes in new locations to drill and add anchors to. But even if they lined up, then filling the existing holes with an epoxy would work.

We anchor entire homes into concrete with epoxy by just shoving bolts into the epoxy. The holes need to be dust free to get good purchase.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
you would need a ram bit approx 4inch OD general sizes would be aproxx 4.5 inch 3.5 2.375 1 .875 or 4, 3 , 2 and 1 1/2 pipe size. that would be cool for them to have a bastard size but I think you may have incorrect info

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score

04564 - TFR400 - CLEAN REAM EXTREME® TOILET CLOSET FLANGE REAMER

• Removes toilet flange from inside 4” PVC schedule 40 pipe.

VS my 4" pipe size reamer

04527 - PPR400 - CLEAN REAM EXTREME® PLASTIC PIPE FITTING REAMERS​

• Clean leftover pipe and solvent cement residue from Sch. 40 PVC, CPVC or ABS fittings.
Looks like that is the correct tool for the job. I'd never heard of it before.

Reach4

Reaction score
Have to replace at least one ABS toilet flange in concrete.
Is the problem that the ring part failed, and cannot hold the toilet down and in place? If so, a repair ring may be the easier answer. If you will be interested in that, I can post more on that topic.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks