Bryant 926t causing mold?

Users who are viewing this thread

voltron

New Member
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
IN
Okay..some may think I'm going crazy (my wife certainly does!). I collect coins and periodically check them under a microscope. Lately, I've been noticing what appears to be rapid growth and darkening spots on the coins under magnification. I thought at first it was oxidation, but it appears to be happening on other materials as well. I also smell something in the air (of course nobody else smells it). It's not really musty.. but it's almost like a sweet smell (very hard to explain). It isn't horrible, but it isn't something I really want to breath-- it's annoying. Most people describe mold smells something like dirty socks or a strong musty smell. I don't think it's that bad or unbearable. My quest for the source continues and has led me down a trail. Possibly air-borne bacteria, then to possibly mold spores. I've never seen oxidation happen this quickly and have never seen it on a rubber surface. There's no visible signs of mold around the house. The walls, ceilings, bathrooms, sinks, and even the outside perimeter look fine. The only spot I found some mold is in the drain tube of our Bryant 926t . I don't see any water pooling around the unit and the tube itself doesn't look the least bit moist. In fact, the only thing that's in it appears to be the mold. Is it possible that this is causing the phenomenon on my coins and could it be the culprit of the smell I'm smelling? And why is the smell only in the basement and not on the main floor or the 2nd floor?
*NOTE* The Bryant is located on the 1st floor, probably about 15-20' and up a level from my desk in the basement.
Is my drain tube working? Is it normal to have stuff growing in it? Am I riding on the Titanic and is this just the tip of the iceburg?
:eek:

Thanks for taking the time and easing a disturbed mind!
Roy
 

Fitter30

Well-Known Member
Messages
4,343
Reaction score
793
Points
113
Location
Peace valley missouri
Mold likes humidity if RH is above 50% it is possible to grow it. So keeping the RH nelow 50% helps. Mold can grow in condensate line but that is normal. The air conditioning coil in the furnace or air handler when cooling is at 100% RH at 40° that is where the condensate is formed running out the tube to drain. In just a few feet the air warms up and the RH drops. All ac systems work the same way. Get a RH / thermometer Amazon sells them under $20-25. Call your electric company ask if they provide a energy audit that includes a blower door test that will tell you how tight the house is. Utube blowerdoor test. If wanting to bring in more fresh air they make ERV & HRV units. Difference HRV will bring RH.
 

Reagansem1290

New Member
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Houston, Texas
Okay..some may think I'm going crazy (my wife certainly does!). I collect coins and periodically check them under a microscope. Lately, I've been noticing what appears to be rapid growth and darkening spots on the coins under magnification. I thought at first it was oxidation, but it appears to be happening on other materials as well. I also smell something in the air (of course nobody else smells it). It's not really musty.. but it's almost like a sweet smell (very hard to explain). It isn't horrible, but it isn't something I really want to breath-- it's annoying. Most people describe mold smells something like dirty socks or a strong musty smell. I don't think it's that bad or unbearable. My quest for the source continues and has led me down a trail. Possibly air-borne bacteria, then to possibly mold spores. I've never seen oxidation happen this quickly and have never seen it on a rubber surface. There's no visible signs of mold around the house. The walls, ceilings, bathrooms, sinks, and even the outside perimeter look fine. The only spot I found some mold is in the drain tube of our Bryant 926t . I don't see any water pooling around the unit and the tube itself doesn't look the least bit moist. In fact, the only thing that's in it appears to be the mold. Is it possible that this is causing the phenomenon on my coins and could it be the culprit of the smell I'm smelling? And why is the smell only in the basement and not on the main floor or the 2nd floor?
*NOTE* The Bryant is located on the 1st floor, probably about 15-20' and up a level from my desk in the basement.
Is my drain tube working? Is it normal to have stuff growing in it? Am I riding on the Titanic and is this just the tip of the iceburg?
:eek:

Thanks for taking the time and easing a disturbed mind!
Roy
Hey Roy, you're not the only one with this issue. if you're not able to see the mold and you smell musty smells then it could be within the walls of the house of attics and basements. There's probably basement water damage that you haven't noticed, it's be good to have a mold assessment so they can detect where moisture is coming from. This article will tell you the various mold smells.
 

Christie Sternee

New Member
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Points
1
Location
Spokane
It's essential to regularly inspect and maintain your HVAC system, including cleaning or replacing filters, checking drain tubes for clogs or mold growth, and ensuring proper drainage and ventilation.
Addressing the mold growth in the drain tube and improving ventilation and humidity control in your basement can help mitigate the issues you're experiencing and ensure a healthier indoor environment for you and your family.
 
Top
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks