Breaker question

Users who are viewing this thread

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
My kitchen has 2 circuits both with #12 wire plus ground with 20 amp breakers. The kitchen was remodeled and rewired in 1997. No problems. Last night, we were using the microwave, toaster, and refrigerator, all on one circuit. The gas range is also on that circuit but was not in use at that time. Suddenly the breaker blew! I reset it and it working fine. Question is, why did it blow with such a very light amp draw? The only thing remotely out of the ordinary is the range has a self-cleaning oven and my wife cleaned the over just the day before. I does get very hot around the area of the range, and I am wondering if this very high heat might have damaged the wiring the circuit. It doesn't seem to likely to me, but there has to be a reason for a breaker to suddenly decide to blow. Any ideas?:confused:

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
You were using the microwave and the toaster at the same time.

I would guess that you were near your max draw on the circuit and maybe had a surge/spike.

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
My toaster & 1100w microwave will kick off a 15a breaker
Add the fridge to that & not surpised it kicked off a 20a breaker

I'd run a dedicated circuit to the fridge
That's what I did

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Last night, we were using the microwave, toaster, and refrigerator, all on one circuit.
Question is, why did it blow with such a very light amp draw?
Seriously? You think that is a "light amp draw"???

Do you realize what those appliances draw?

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
Question is, why did it blow with such a very light amp draw?

Its all about perspective. That could be a very light amp draw. I can picture the labels on the remaining breakers in the panel now:

#2 Tankless Electric HW heater (12 gpm)
#3 Swimming pool (Olympic size)
#4 Hot tub (12 person)
#5 Indoor pot growing operation

As has been already pointed out that is not a very light amp draw and will trip a 20A breaker:)

-rick

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks like I didn't do my homework on amps these appliances draw. Maybe this is the first time I used the microwave and toaster at the same time. I don't know if the fridg. was running at the time, but could have been. Thanks for the input. I'll look at the feasibility of a dedicated circuit for the fridg, but if this is just a once every 12 year happening, I guess I could live with that.:)

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
nuker , toaster, refridge......could easily total 30 amps!

Nuker and fridge should each be on a dedicated circuit, and since that is not always possible in an older property, breaker pops will happen!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Running more circuits would be possible but not easy, so here's another thought to put to you. Keep in mind #12 wire in the existing circuit, would it be within codes to just use a 30 amp breaker? Thanks again for all of the advice thus far.

Jim Port

Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.manta.com
Do not switch to a higher ampacity breaker. Along with the fire danger there is also the Code issue that says #12 is to only be protected by a 20 amp over current protection device max.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
why did it blow with such a very light amp draw?

1500 watt micro = 12.5 amps
1000 watt toaster = 8.3 amps

Refer comes in with another 2 or 3 amps

If you run a new circuit, I'd suggest you run it for the micro instead of the refer.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
If this country were really free, which it's not, then you could just run the existing circuit back to a 30 amp breaker thereby creating a ring main, and eliminating the fire risk with using 12 gauge wire.

Theoretically of course (because it's certainly not to code in the US but is in the UK).

:)

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well, I guess I got the answer to my question. After I posted it, I did some Googling and discovered that code actually requires dedicated circuits for microwaves and refrigerators, but due to the difficulty of accessing wires in the wall, I may just isolate the microwave. Since this is the first time I have blown a breaker since I installed the wiring in 1997, this is not a top priority job, but I will do it this winter. Thanks to all who responded, your input has been most helpful and appreciated. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks