Big Blue Filter Housing / O Ring Blues!

Users who are viewing this thread

Lee_Leses

Reaction score
So, not sure why this has been so difficult for me.

I had a 10 x 4.5 big blue filter housing installed about 2 years ago, when I had the GE softener installed.

This is only about the 3rd time I changed the filter.

I had to get a strap wrench because the housing would not loosen.

Then I took it apart twice, the 2nd time using a new or-100 o-ring.

I'm still getting a slow drip from the housing.

Especially the 2nd time I took it apart, I made sure to use plenty of food grade silicone lubricant.

Is it usually this hard to get a good seal?

Am I supposed to hand tighten it, or really apply pressure to the plastic tool?

I've been hand tightening it so far.

Is it better to use the flattened o-rings than the round ones?

Is there a better kind of filter housing to use?

Any experiences or thoughts greatly appreciated!

Thank You,

Lee

Lee_Leses

Reaction score
I'm also wondering if a flat/square o-ring might seal easier, if I could find them?

A spare housing I have seems to have shipped with a flatter o-ring than the ones I'm trying so far that are supposed to fit.

Reach4

Reaction score
I had a 10 x 4.5 big blue filter housing installed about 2 years ago,
Maybe yours is not a real Pentek housing, but something else.
This is only about the 3rd time I changed the filter.
There is a wrench made for the purpose. It is normally recommended to only use that for loosening, and tighten by hand. Maybe the wrench could help. Pentek number is 144368 SW-4 Wrench for 20" Big Blue.

Then I took it apart twice, the 2nd time using a new or-100 o-ring.
The real housing uses a round o-ring.

I'm still getting a slow drip from the housing.

Especially the 2nd time I took it apart, I made sure to use plenty of food grade silicone lubricant.

Is it usually this hard to get a good seal?
Something is damaged I think. Try another o-ring, and inspect the housing and sump top for damage. Sliding a fingernail over the surfaces that the o-ring touches may let you detect a flaw.

Pentek O-ring is part 151122. I think these are equivalent:
Ace Hardware 4001756 or Ace 49561, American Plumber W 10-OR and 152032. 151122, UPC 33663005082, Culligan OR-100.

Lee_Leses

Reaction score
The housing I'm attempting to use looks exactly like this, with a yellow sticker on it.

I'm thinking from some videos I just watched that it's not a Pentek.

So I'm thinking this shouldn't be this hard, right?

Will take it apart and inspect it again.

So a housing uses either a round or a square o-ring specifically, but not both for the same housing/unit interchangeably?

1.jpg
2.jpg
?

Lee_Leses

Reaction score
Wow! The way the o-ring's held in the Pentek sump is totally different! UGH

Will have to look at the cap I have more closely.

Pentek.jpg

Lee_Leses

Reaction score
OK so here's a little update. Please don't laugh at me I'm doing the best I can with this, LOL! So from 10 PM to 6 AM this is all that it leaked, so I have some time to think about what I'm doing with it. I looked at a ton of pictures of these housings, and I'm amazed how they all look so similar and accept the 10 x 4 1/2 standard filters, but they have a LOT of different O-ring designs. Does anyone recognize this brand? I may need to dump this brand and get a genuine Pentek, The O-ring design on this is very different than the Pentek.

If it continues to leak at this very slow rate, I may wait until next weekend to take it apart again. When I take it apart again I’ll look very closely at the cap and everything. I didn’t over tighten it, just hand tight and then a little snugging with the plastic tool.

image0.jpeg

Martin Boring

In the Trades
Reaction score
Had a guy I had put a whole house filter in for a few years back called and said he had changed the filter and couldn't get the housing to quite leaking. Very small leak. He had provided the filter when I installed it. Long story short I found the box store he had bought the filter at had changed brands of filter housings and the O ring was different and wouldn't quiet seal on his housing. Make sure you have the correct brand of O ring for your housing and that you didn't crack the filter housing. I have the Omini brand on my house and like that housing design.

Lee_Leses

Reaction score
Thank you. I'm wondering if anyone can identify the brand I have from the pictures above.

I looked on the blue part for what brand it is and so far I didn't see anything useful printed on it!

Martin Boring

In the Trades
Reaction score
Lee if the top picture is the one you have it looks like a Omni brand B7 filter housing and the O ring kit should be a OK7. In my area Menards is a dealer for Omni in my area.

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you still have the original o-ring? Measure that for thickness.

People have posted that the OR-100 is about 5.465 inches ID. Maybe you can compare to either the housing or the old o-ring and see what dimension should change.

The old O-ring typically will have stretched longer, and that is why you could not reuse that. Anyway, you may be able to order an o-ring from the many sizes available.

Lee_Leses

Reaction score
Thanks Reach! I like your thinking on this issue.

I think I'm going to explore different brands of O-Rings too.

It seems not all O-Rings are created equal! lol

Also going to switch to Pentek filters, the off brands suck!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks