Bath Remodel Supply

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff Knecht

Reaction score
Gutted bath with single sink.
Running PEX from 3/4" copper.
Shower has hand held at rear next to bench. One shower device at a time.
Questions:
Run remainder of PEX in 1/2"
or
Run 3/4"" main with 1/2" branches?
60 PSI / 10 GPM
1800 SF ranch
Ball valves are 32 from 1" feed.
Hot water tank is 20 feet from 1".
I hooked up the hose bib and the PSI and GPM with minimum decrease.

Attachments

• 16091111698263891248194593179336.jpg
    16091111698263891248194593179336.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 103

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Theres almost no discernible cost with running 3/4 to the last 2 fixtures. But an entire bathroom can function fine on 1/2. The HB in the mix definately would make me want to have 3/4 running at least to that so you don't lose pressure if someone was using it while another person was showering.

Jeff Knecht

Reaction score
Theres almost no discernible cost with running 3/4 to the last 2 fixtures. But an entire bathroom can function fine on 1/2. The HB in the mix definately would make me want to have 3/4 running at least to that so you don't lose pressure if someone was using it while another person was showering.[/QUOTE
Thank you.
I'll run 3/4" PEX as a main, then tee of with 1/2" PEX to each device. I'm in a 24" crawl and and the 1/2" PEX would be much easier for me to make the 90 degree bend. If two devices are running, there should not be much of a pressure drop?
Is the HB the hand held shower?

Thank you again.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
You might look at using a PEX bullet. Premade manifold where its fed with 3/4 and has a series of 1/2 branches.. Much less work in a crawler that way. Pressure drop could happen, but shouldn't be much if fed from that 3/4. My only concern would be from the HB (Hose Bibb). The shower should be protected from temperture spikes with a pressure balance or tempering shower valve.

Jeff Knecht

Reaction score
The Delta Monitor valve, I believe, protects
You might look at using a PEX bullet. Premade manifold where its fed with 3/4 and has a series of 1/2 branches.. Much less work in a crawler that way. Pressure drop could happen, but shouldn't be much if fed from that 3/4. My only concern would be from the HB (Hose Bibb). The shower should be protected from temperture spikes with a pressure balance or tempering shower valve.

I've got someone to assist and and will running 3/4" PEX as a main and teeing off with 1/2" to all devices except the HB. Tee off 3/4" PEX coupled with Sharkbite to 1/2" copper still attached to HB. Maybe that will compensate if the HB gets turned on at same time as another device. We never had any problems with old setup. Of course. Wife and I are the only occupants so we pretty much know what the other is doing.
The Delta Monitor 1400 series Multichoice Universal "keeps temperature within 3.6 degrees". Also, has a single function pressure balance cartridge. Does that cover your concern for pressure spikes and tempering valve?
Please excuse my wordiness.
Thank you very much.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yeah. You will be fine 1/2 is fine for a single bath and 3/4 is more than double the volume.. If you bring 3/4 to the HB tee, then you will be good.

Reach4

Reaction score
If your sense of symmetry is not offended, you could run 3/4 cold shared, and separate 1/2 hot lines to each bathroom. Hot water travels about twice as fast through 1/2 inch, so less waiting for hot.

Another thing to consider is to run a return line for a hot water recirculation. That gives faster hot still.

Hot lines are supposed to be insulated, but I did not do that.

Jeff Knecht

Reaction score
Thank you Tuttle for your time and expertise.

Hi Reach
I probably wasn't very clear. This is for 1 bathroom with a double sink vanity. Not clear on how to accomplish the cold sharing. I understand the 3/4 has sufficient volume for 2 faucets or shower running at a time, but not sure how to come off the 3/4 main to share. I was planning on teeing off to both faucets. The insulation of the hot lines makes sense. Didn't realize that hot water travels faster. Have to Google that for explanation.
Thank you.

Reach4

Reaction score
Didn't realize that hot water travels faster.
Hot water in 1/2 inch goes faster than hot water in 3/4-- at a given flow.

Cold water for a bathroom does not usually have the same delay considerations, plus it is also supplying the toilet, so more flow potentially.