Basement bathroom reno, sink tie-in to show drain

Users who are viewing this thread

naimc

Reaction score
I am about to cut a channel in my concrete basement floor to passe this sink drain 1 1/2 ABS drain pipe and wanted to know if my line / routing "violates" a lot of plumbing rules.

-Prior to my work, the plumbing looked like this, A shower with NO P-trap ! and the sink was tied in with 1-1/2 to 2" Y.
HHrJ32Ah.png

I am making the washroom smaller and relocating the single sink just beside the shower, Also bringing in a vent pipe for the sink as the previous built had no venting just a "snorkel" that allowed air under the sink.
In the new layout I moved the shower drain to relocation required by acrylic shower base, section is in 2" ABS pipe.

On the new sink line I put a clean out that will be accessible from under the sink, why not !

GXpm4O8h.png

My question pertains to they way I a going to tie in my 1-1/2 ABS drain to the 2" ABS shower drain. I have two 45 degree 1-1/2 joints followed by a 1-1/2" to 2" junction does this look ok or should I consider another joint ?

tlvhrqRh.png

naimc

Reaction score
Your wet vent section under the slab and up to the lav drain should be 2".
Ok and I guess your calling for 2" because this line would be drain for the sink but and vent for the shower ?
Also I started to cut the trench for the 1-1/2 line , but if I put a 2" in its place how should I connect both 2" lines as they now run in parallel.
Just 2 2"x 45 degree elbows ?

Yc1Bwcyh.png

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well its late now but I think you could have eliminated the offset very easily after all the trap does adjust.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I wasn t citing code I just think 1 1/2 on underground should be avoided except a tub trap arm . even just a lav I wouldnt run 1 1/2 . i guess the chipping be a little easier. might save a dollar and half or so on parts

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
That varies by code in the US (IPC allows a 1-1/2"horizontal wet vent to carry 1 DFU), so it's unclear what the Canadian plumbing code would say on the matter.

Cheers, Wayne
Pretty standard practice to run 2"pipe under a slab. Even if Canadian code technically allowed such a thing, most plumbers wouldn't run 1.5" pipe under concrete.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yep Cant say I wouldnt ever do it , but Some of our advice is bare minimum meet code sometimes its our opinion for a proper long running trouble free job . I think 2 inch is better, you can get a 3/8 cable down it and it wont plug up as easy . Im not really a drain cleanner but thats where I stand on supporting a 2 inch line

naimc

Reaction score
I asked for advisee so I followed it ! switched to 2"
I would have taken a pro 10 min to cut and glue it took me 3 hours, measured adjusted created test shims , remeasured broke the slab a bit more so I had room to press fit everything, made alignment marks.

IidWjy8h.png

Here is my slope :

6TJtrRPh.png

Thank you again for the guidance.