Bad pressure tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Kimmie_65

Reaction score
I just figure out what’s wrong with my continuous well cycling back to back. I tested the air valve & water is just pouring out when I push the pin in. So I’m assuming bad bladder pressure tank. Is there a work around for a week to give me time to buy & replace it? I do have 3 tanks , one softener & 1 ?? (I was told for the smell) & the pressure tanks , pressure switch, salt bin, submergible pump.
What can I do or a work around till I can the pressure tank bought & installed?
Thanks!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Turn off the pump, open a faucet, blow air into the tank. If you can blow out some or most of the water the tank will work for a few days until it waterlogs again. Also, cycling on and off is what caused the tank to go bad, and will cause the failure of the pump and everything else as well. Might as well fix the cycling problem with a Cycle Stop Valve while you are at it.

PK1A Sub Pitless House.jpg

Kimmie_65

Reaction score
Thank you so much. So I’ve been basically using as little water as possible. The tank is definitely bad as it comes out the air valve when I push the pin in. I personally (from what I e been reading) that the tank is to small. So I’m going to Lowe’s to get the same size tank & replace it myself. I want to get the “ cycle stop valve” but I’m short on funds till March. So I figured I’d just replace the tank now & in March put the cycle stop valve on then.
Can I ask a question? Will I need to readjust the pressure switch with the new tank if it’s the same PSI? Thanks so much for your response earlier, I appreciate it!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Thank you so much. So I’ve been basically using as little water as possible. The tank is definitely bad as it comes out the air valve when I push the pin in. I personally (from what I e been reading) that the tank is to small. So I’m going to Lowe’s to get the same size tank & replace it myself. I want to get the “ cycle stop valve” but I’m short on funds till March. So I figured I’d just replace the tank now & in March put the cycle stop valve on then.
Can I ask a question? Will I need to readjust the pressure switch with the new tank if it’s the same PSI? Thanks so much for your response earlier, I appreciate it!
All pressure tanks are too small. You really can't get or install a large enough pressure tank to solve the cycling problem. You can usually get the PK1A kit for about the same price as the large tank. If you can get some air n the old tank it will work for a few days until the PK1A kit arrives.

Tanks at most box stores are no good. The only one I recommend is the Water Worker as it is made by Amtrol like the ones contractors use.

Kimmie_65

Reaction score
Thank you so much! My plan is to buy the cycle stop valve at the end of the month, as I’m on a limited budget. Thank you so much for the help & the diagram, which is great.
So I managed to get a 20 gal tank & “I put it in!” Yea…. Although it’s extremely easy, I guess if everything goes right so I was lucky. I can say 1 thing , my dad taught me “man skills” ! Thank god because I’m 65 now & I never was lucky enough to have found a man with man skills ‍♀️ So I’ll add this to the list of “I can do man stuff” .

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Very proud of you! Your dad would be also. But they are just "skills". I recently taught my four year old granddaughter her first skill, which was how to use a screwdriver. She crawled into the refrigerator where I could not reach and put the screws back in the back panel. I was proud of her and she was proud of herself. No reason they have to be "man skills" when women are as good or better than any man at most skills. :)

jwwyatt

Reaction score
All pressure tanks are too small. You really can't get or install a large enough pressure tank to solve the cycling problem. You can usually get the PK1A kit for about the same price as the large tank. If you can get some air n the old tank it will work for a few days until the PK1A kit arrives.

Tanks at most box stores are no good. The only one I recommend is the Water Worker as it is made by Amtrol like the ones contractors use.

jwwyatt

Reaction score
I have a question about pressure tank size. I need to replace my pressure tank. I currently have an old Goulds, 7.3 gallon tank. I'm having trouble finding a new tank in the 7 gallon range. I can pick up a 4 gallon Water Worker tank at my local Ace Hardware. Am I going to notice a big difference in performance by dropping down to a 4 gallon tank?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I have a question about pressure tank size. I need to replace my pressure tank. I currently have an old Goulds, 7.3 gallon tank. I'm having trouble finding a new tank in the 7 gallon range. I can pick up a 4 gallon Water Worker tank at my local Ace Hardware. Am I going to notice a big difference in performance by dropping down to a 4 gallon tank?
Either of those size tanks will be fine with a CSV. Without a CSV I wouldn't recommend any smaller than a 44 gallon size tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks