Backsplash gap

Users who are viewing this thread

Rburt5

Reaction score
In laying out my subway tile backsplash I’m going to have a 3/8” gap between the top row of tile and the cabinets. That feels like a little too much to caulk and too narrow to cut a thin row of tile. My gut tells me a piece of 1/2” quarter round molding is the way to go. Are there better options?

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
In laying out my subway tile backsplash I’m going to have a 3/8” gap between the top row of tile and the cabinets. That feels like a little too much to caulk and too narrow to cut a thin row of tile. My gut tells me a piece of 1/2” quarter round molding is the way to go. Are there better options?
If you use the next size tile spacer from whatever you're currently considering you could make up a bunch of the difference by the time you get to the top row. If you start your first row on a spacer there's that bit of extra mileage as well.

While there's also the consideration of 'line of sight' involved, making the gap actually smaller would be the best outcome.

Not knowing your backsplash height, tile size, etc makes it hard to advise, but....

Best,
Howard Emerson

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
There are also tile moldings that can look nice in certain circumstances.
Tile trim is another search term to use. They come in many shapes, sizes, and finishes. They can also be used in between tile as accent strips.

Here is an example where I created an accent with metal tile trim.

Attachments

• 22-08-33-56.png
    22-08-33-56.png
    194.7 KB · Views: 122

Reach4

Reaction score
If you use the next size tile spacer from whatever you're currently considering you could make up a bunch of the difference by the time you get to the top row.
Nice. I had interpreted the space as being horizontal rather than vertical. I like your interpretation better.

Rburt5

Reaction score
I appreciate all the suggestions. I’ll have to look a little more into the tile trim options. After getting the tile in place the gap is mostly 1/4” and gets slightly bigger and slightly smaller in places (3/16 minimum and 3/8 max) depending on how parallel the cabinets are to the counter top.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks