Are these water leaks from thermal imaging?

Users who are viewing this thread

Paiksl

Reaction score
Hey All!!

So recently getting ready to buy a new house.

Looked through it and saw these images through thermal readings

Wondering if these are indicative of a water leak somewhere.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 63ED430B-144C-4496-AF58-CFC140947A28.jpeg
    63ED430B-144C-4496-AF58-CFC140947A28.jpeg
    51.3 KB · Views: 108
  • 1854CE18-A0D1-40C7-AA98-245747BA7342.jpeg
    1854CE18-A0D1-40C7-AA98-245747BA7342.jpeg
    37.8 KB · Views: 110

JoeJee

HVAC Contractor
Reaction score
Water leak would not be at the top of my list. Now, if you start to see discoloration on the ceiling (without the use of a thermal imaging camera) then I would be worried about moisture. Only way to know for sure is to climb into the attic and look. My guess, missing insulation or something was left on the Sheetrock ceiling that is efficient at transferring heat.

So, this begs the question: is it worth someone’s time to go rummaging through insulation and risking falling through the ceiling to find out what the spots are? I would say probably not but if it will bug you always knowing there is a higher transfer of heat in those three sections then….

RobbyDog

Reaction score
A water leak would be indicated by damaged drywall. Is this a bungalow or two story? If bungalow I’d expect those spots are simply voids in blown-in insulation.

Cv000000

Reaction score
Water leak would not be at the top of my list. Now, if you start to see discoloration on the ceiling (without the use of a thermal imaging camera) then I would be worried about moisture. Only way to know for sure is to climb into the attic and look. My guess, missing insulation or something was left on the Sheetrock ceiling that is efficient at transferring heat.

So, this begs the question: is it worth someone’s time to go rummaging through insulation and risking falling through the ceiling to find out what the spots are? I would say probably not but if it will bug you always knowing there is a higher transfer of heat in those three sections then….
This is a 3 story house though with the bedrooms above this.

A water leak would be indicated by damaged drywall. Is this a bungalow or two story? If bungalow I’d expect those spots are simply voids in blown-in insulation.

This is a 3 story house. The bedrooms are above this.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks