Another case won ......https://www.docketalarm.com/cases/New_York_State_Bronx_County_Supreme_Court/21241---2017E/ROBERT_MATIAS_v._NEW_YORKER_HOTEL_MA

Users who are viewing this thread

Fitter30

Reaction score
Typical that a hotel building engineer and or management either doesn't know what their looking at or doesn't want to spend the money to have the building inspected properly. Having done work at 25-30 hotels over the years they either call for a break down after their people screw with it for while. Spend money on what i call a fluff and buff remodel. Only spending 90% on cosmetics 10% on mechanical. Biohazard like at this hotel had to be a nightmare with a complete gut job for the restaurant if there were floors below.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
In this context , I think calling a jim cap , a clean out cap is overly generous a jim cap has no legit purpose in a plumbing system that I know of.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
In this context , I think calling a jim cap , a clean out cap is overly generous a jim cap has no legit purpose in a plumbing system that I know of.
Because some IDIOT used a Jim cap and it blew off the end of a waste line someone was severely hurt. Over 7 million dollars later they settled out of court BUT Who knows if they bothered to do it right?

It is the little code violations that are my best cases. Very little research is required.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Because some IDIOT used a Jim cap and it blew off the end of a waste line someone was severely hurt. Over 7 million dollars later they settled out of court BUT Who knows if they bothered to do it right?

It is the little code violations that are my best cases. Very little research is required.
Oh yea I get it a jim cap has no official buisness in plumbing its like duct tape and calling that a claean out cap !

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
So what do they pay you to be an expert witness??
Once established and you prove your capable by winning a few cases it becomes word of mouth.

Several law firms I work for now I testified against years ago.

My fee is as follows $500 per hr. with a minimum of 7 hours .

This covers my time to drive to the accident scene and write a report take some pictures and start quoting various codes.

If the job is in Brooklyn, Queens or someplace more than an hour away, I charge $5,500.

If I have to attend a deposition or go to court, it is $3,500 EACH.

I had one case where I was called to report and the judge said come back tomorrow and then again delayed my testimony for 2 more days.

I still billed the law firm for 3 days as it not my fault the wheels of justice grind to a standstill.

The case below was great financially.

5 Plumbers were called and not a single one could find anything wrong.

I took the case and stated I wanted a $12,000 retainer.

The plumbers looked in the "plumbing codes" and found nothing.

I figured why do what they did, and I looked at various codes and found a loophole in the energy code.

"All piping leading to the radiator or away must be insulated NO radiator cover is required."

The child was crawling near the tubing and burned his arm and leg and I proved this was contrary to the "Code"

Eventually child services took the child away.

Attachments

• IMG_6034 (1).JPG
    IMG_6034 (1).JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2555.JPG
    IMG_2555.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 48

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
The scars healed completely, and the jury awarded the mother NOTHING.

The last case the Jury awarded the "Victim" 1.8 million./

The lawyer I was working for said he expected $500,000

The opposing lawyer asked for a recess after I testified, he said "YOU FCK MY CASE" I asked how, and he said you know what stacking is and I never thought you would go into such detail.

The lawyer I was against called me a few days later and hired me for a case.

He said he worked as a plumber's helper during the summer to pay for his law school.

I have one case now where a cap blew off a fire stand pipe and some journeyman standing Infront had the cap bust out some teeth and gave him lacerations on his face and a concussion.

They used AIR instead of water to test the 6" line.

The installer is a plumbing contractor but he does not have a Master fire suppression piping license which I also have, so all I need to show his incompetence and lack of knowledge etc.

Attachments

• IMG_6040.JPG
    IMG_6040.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 38

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
This case just came in a few minutes ago.

Seems this gentleman had a seizure and passed out while showering.

Tomorrow, I have to go to the scene and record the shower temperature.

The year just started, and I have 3 cases.

The other pictures are too graphic to show.

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 36
  • SCALD3.jpg
    SCALD3.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 39

Fitter30

Reaction score
Guess they couldn't get out fast enough. Can't believe the pain! Burnt by steam is very painful it's only been twice hasn't been bad but went to the emergency room.
Congrats for your testimony!

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Back around 1955-56, my oldest sister lifted our youngest sister onto a hot radiator just like the one shown. She is now 70 years old and still has the scar on her butt. Grandpa owned the home at the that time. The home was on Schenectady Ave in Brooklyn.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Back around 1955-56, my oldest sister lifted our youngest sister onto a hot radiator just like the one shown. She is now 70 years old and still has the scar on her butt. Grandpa owned the home at the that time. The home was on Schenectady Ave in Brooklyn.
Today Grandpa woulda got sued
15 years ago my step daughter borrowed our car she had her 2 toddlers in the car when she blew through a redlight and t boned another car My Insureance gave money to the grand kids beyond the minor medical bills. because it was our car and our insureance. we all pay for this stuff

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
NO lawsuits in those good old days when people took personal responsibility for their actions.

That was a good area back in the day.

I took the temperature for the above scalding in the shower 138.9 F the file is too big to load

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Nurses aid was taking a shower water temperature spiked to 191 DEG F she passed out and this is part of the results.

The building owner needs to be jailed NO possible excuse to have hot water @191

Attachments

• CLIENT INJURIES 2.jpg
    CLIENT INJURIES 2.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 32

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
That is a very good side gig if you can get it
It is an amazing gig especially when your 76 years old and still like dabbling in the profession.

Monday I am going to water Jet a 12" storm line full of mud and leaves, which will pay more than playing Perry Mason ;)

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Guess they couldn't get out fast enough. Can't believe the pain! Burnt by steam is very painful it's only been twice hasn't been bad but went to the emergency room.
Congrats for your testimomy

When I was in the navy working as a boiler tender apprentice the boilers produced 1,500 PSI Superheated steam

The boiler room was hell to work in and when you brushed against a non-insulated pipe instant blister.

Once a small line busted and I started to run up a ladder when the CPO smacked me and said NEVER EVER RUN UP A LADDER run down and then climb up the escape hatch AFTER you secure the boiler. That was when I was 17 and his words of wisdom, I will never forget plus the utmost respect for steam applications.

A lot of my commercial buildings in Manhattan have Con Edison steam starting @125# to make it more manageable we installed step down steam stations. (Leslie valves)

Before I passed my master plumbers exams, I was a stationary engineer @90 Church Street Central absorption system for AC

An amazing building to work in

Fitter30

Reaction score
The boiler room was hell to work in and when you brushed against a non-insulated pipe instant blister.

Once a small line busted and I started to run up a ladder when the CPO smacked me and said NEVER EVER RUN UP A LADDER run down and then climb up the escape hatch AFTER you secure the boiler. That was when I was 17 and his words of wisdom, I will never forget plus the utmost respect for steam applications.

A lot of my commercial buildings in Manhattan have Con Edison steam starting @125# to make it more manageable we installed step down steam stations. (Leslie valves)

Before I passed my master plumbers exams, I was a stationary engineer @90 Church Street Central absorption system for AC

An amazing building to work in

Worked with a navy welder 600 & 1200 lb steam looking for leaks with a corn broom. City of st louis downtown has 150lb stream to all the larger buildings used Spence station valves to reduce pressure to <15lbs ? with two regulators
Only helped work on 250 ton absorption chiller once.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks