AM STD Tub drain woes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Spaceman Spiff

Architect
Reaction score
I have an American Standard jetted tub and the AS drain kit with all of that complicated linkage ($120). Whenever I turn the knob it works fine... When the wife turns the knob all heck breaks loose and she can't get it to open or close. :( Last time she decided to step on it to close it. Bent the linkage. Had to rip out the tile to access the overflow and attempt the repair. :mad: I was just thinking of all the other tubs in the house with their Watts chrome plug and overflow. Simple, effective, stylish, cheap ($10)...:)

Should I rip out the AS stuff and just put in a Watts? Opinions??? (dunno why I didn't think of this 6 months ago when I was building the house...) Any experiences with these AS drains??

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
Spaceman Spiff said:
Should I rip out the AS stuff and just put in a Watts? Opinions???

Don't let the wife take baths - tell her she is only allowed showers cause she doesn't know how to operate complicated equipment...LOL
(then run)

Spaceman Spiff

Architect
Reaction score
Put in new watco drain, the push pull type. nothing fancy... bring in the wife to show her. I demonstrate "push to close, pull to open" then she tries it and starts twisting it to close it...:rolleyes:

Oh well... can't win them all.

On the plus side I'll be taking a hot jetted bath tonight.:)