Advice needed on temporary removal of Insinkerator garbage disposal

Users who are viewing this thread

idreos

Reaction score
I have to install a new kitchen faucet in a tight space but cannot do so without temporarily removing an existing Insinkerator 500 garbage disposal.

Will this removal and reattachment be relatively easy to do or present possible difficulties.

Thanks for your help!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's generally, fairly simple. Remover the dishwasher hose if it isn't long enough to go where you'll set the disposal. Then, unscrew the retainer that holds the elbow for the drain to the disposal (or remove the p-trap, whichever you find easier).

You'll need the funky shaped Allen wrench. Place it into one of the holes around the ring near the bottom of the sink basket, and turn. You can see the ring in the picture...the wrench will fit in one of those holes to give you some leverage to loosen it. It's a wedge type connection, and the device should release.

The video at about 3:45 shows the connection.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Wow! The drain from the wall is too high with those deep sinks. The disposer will always have water in it. Normally the drain is low enough for the disposer to drain itself dry.

disposer-drain-too-high-02.jpg

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
ha ha what a hilarious video I thought terry was talking about the OP having the rough in toohigh then I finaly saw the you tube video of how to screw up an installation