Adding in law suite

Users who are viewing this thread

wyattw

Reaction score
Hello,
I am looking at the feasibility of adding a simple in law suite downstairs. I have a branch of plumbing accessible with a bathroom sink and washing standpipe currently draining. I would need to change the configuration to move the washing machine to the bathroom and add a small sink where the washer is.
ideally would also like to add second laundry unit in the basement and dishwasher there but if that would overload the system we could do without.
I am not a plumber obviously but have been spending some time on the forum and have attached a schematic showing the current and proposed plumbing diagrams and would appreciate any thoughts or tips or alternatives.

Attachments

• plumbing.png
    plumbing.png
    59.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 20230602_230220~4.jpg
    20230602_230220~4.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 61

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
All plumbing fixtures have a drainage fixture value. As in how much hydraulic load they put on a drainage system when used. So you need to consider what your drainage fixture load is on the drain pipe you want to use. I'm not very familiar with Canadian plumbing codes, I know there is a national code, but also some regions use one or another, so I don't know those values off hand.

I just looked this up:
The plumbing discipline code currently in force is:
National Plumbing Code of Canada 2015: Declared in force on January 1, 2017.

wyattw

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. From that reading it would appear based on hydraulic units that I would have to have the washing machines draining into utility sinks so that they don't add to the load because I think it is only 2 inch pipe with a max hydraulic load of 6 ( and each sink and dishwasher has load of 1.5)
Can anyone comment on whether the proposed diagram would work if I eliminate the washing machine standpipe?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The diagram is a bit convoluted. There is likely a more efficient path you could design the drains, but its hard to see what structural conditions you're up against. The laundry on the right doesn't need its own re-vent before tying into the stack in the center, but it could and wouldn't hurt anything.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks