Acid neutralizer - and softener?

Users who are viewing this thread

AVR

Reaction score
I am hoping someone out there has run into a similar issue..

• on well water
  • we have a 1973 home with copper pipes.
  • We are in North Carolina in Piedmont region near charlotte
  • only 2 of us here for water usage.
  • we have blue / green staining in the toilet and white shower base, so it much be slightly acidic water leeching it into system..
  • my wife is having major hair problems (copper?)

• PH - 6.5
  • hardness 4 grains (100 ppm I measured)
  • iron - very low
  • we have a whole house sump filter with 5 micron filter, captures a good amount of sediment.
So, does it sound like we need JUST an acid neutralizer? my wife is very worried about hard water, well company claimed we had borderline hard water but wouldn't classify it as HARD.

I think some rain water can get into my well dog house outside, as the cover is crappy, and roof needs attention. would this allow acidic water to get into the well? because this house has had the same copper pipes for 40+ years it looks like.

QUESTIONS:

1. If the well dog house is not potentially the issue, and we need a neutralizer, which one is recommended? do we need backwash?
  2. If we are borderline hard water, will the neutralizer then bump us into HARD water that we should also install a softener? I measured 100ppm hard water, well company said 4 grains?
I found some systems at Midatlanticwater.com, is this a good source?

https://www.midatlanticwater.net/sh...pflow-acid-neutralizer-fleck-5600sxt-softener

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED, i would have a local plumber / well company install it.

Reach4

Reaction score
So, does it sound like we need JUST an acid neutralizer? my wife is very worried about hard water, well company claimed we had borderline hard water but wouldn't classify it as HARD.
The common acid neutralizers make the water harder. So after that, a softener will be more useful.

If the pH was handled by injecting sodium hydroxide, the hardness would not be increased. But that is not done for home systems, because of the danger that something could go wrong, causing too much to be injected.

Backwashing neutralizers, with a controller like a softener, are preferred. That way the media gets mixed up periodically, and channeling gets removed. For a neutralizer, you will have a top fill port. You would prefer an unpainted tank so that you could shine a light from behind to see the level of the media. If an unpainted tank is in the sun, it needs a cover to protect it. The controllers also need covers. Any PVC pipe needs to be protected by paint or covering. If this goes into your basement, then you don't have the sun considerations.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Considering the low hardness, a simple pH raising injection system with some polyphosphate would probably make the most send. Simple, easy to maintain, and safe. A calcite system followed by a softener would also work but since you only have 4 gpg, I would lean toward chemical injection systems instead. https://view.publitas.com/impact-water-products/2018-catalog-final/page/142-143

It is fairly simple, I prefer using a meter controlled version or even a simpler non electric water driven pH neutralizing system. https://view.publitas.com/impact-water-products/2018-catalog-final/page/150-151