2" extra heavy to 2" pvc

Users who are viewing this thread

Gs1

Reaction score
Hi All, I'm a diy'er with some experience. I've cut out old extra heavy cast iron from my bathroom during a remodel. The cast was almost closed not even a screwdriver would clear it. So I'm trying to join the 2" xhci to 2" pvc. I used a shielded coupling but since the xh cast is so much thicker it distorts the metal band. I'm considering leading in a 2" soil pipe adapter. From my understanding with Illinois code a donut or compression type gasket cannot be inclosed in a wall. So I'm lost at what to do. I've had a licensed plumber look and say that's ok. But it just looks like a leak in the making.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
What is the OD or circumference of the pipe you are having a problem connecting to?

Reach4

Reaction score
You got the rubber over the heavy CI despite the large pipe diameter. I don't picture a leak developing. I am not a plumber. I would leave it.

Out of curiosity, which way is up? You could lead in PVC, and that would be easier if the second photo is the actual orientation. But still, I would not mess with it.

Gs1

Reaction score
You got the rubber over the heavy CI despite the large pipe diameter. I don't picture a leak developing. I am not a plumber. I would leave it.

Out of curiosity, which way is up? You could lead in PVC, and that would be easier if the second photo is the actual orientation. But still, I would not mess with it.
That's probably what I'll do. Though I did find a 4 band shielded coupling. I don't know if the inspector will like it.
It's in the horizontal position.

Gs1

Reaction score
Ok so I did use silicone it is all I had. But just a thin film. I was afraid it would make the rubber slip too much. I did replace the no hub adapter to a medium duty one and I ground down the ridges on the cast. I think I can sleep better now
IMG_0264.JPG