1 yr old leaking T/P valves

Users who are viewing this thread

Spaceman Spiff

Architect
Reaction score
I have two water heaters that are about a year old now. I flushed the sediment out today and flipped the T/P valves to make sure they're not stuck and now they leak.... thee system is at 40-60 PSI (well system) and there is an expansion tank in the system. The first WH is set at about 90° ant the second is at 130°. There is a softener on the system too. The T/P's are rated to 210°. I've fiddled and tapped the handle but they won't shut all the way. I'm planning on replacing them, but any Ideas why they would leak at such a young age?

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I find some times if you open the t&p and let some water come out it will flush any sediment out. This does not always work.

Spaceman Spiff

Architect
Reaction score
Replaced the T&P on one WH... there was a piece of plastic on the inside at the valve seat. Looks like a piece of visqueen from manufacturing to heep the foam out of the hole. The other T&P valve was closed when I went down to replace them tonight... Guess the rubber is stiff and just needed some time to form to the seat.

The good news is that I'm only out $12, have a spare T&P and no more leaking.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks