1 psi pressure drop in 24 hours

Users who are viewing this thread

DTAZ

Reaction score
I have a 1 psi per day pressure loss (a bit less really) on an 90 psi pressure test for bathroom plumbing. I have soaped every joint and fitting, including the shower mixing valve, and do not detect the leak location. I have a sense that one of the temporary nipples, which are threaded into drop ear elbows, are leaking. The system is a mix of copper (in the walls) and PEX (in the crawl space). For practical purposes, is that even a leak that would result in accumulated moisture and would it be better to simply charge the system with water and see if I get a drip? Thanks in advance.

DTAZ

Reaction score
How many days did you test? How consistent was the temperature over that time?
It's been under test for a week and it's lost about 8 psi. A drop from 90 to 82. Temperature dropped with the onset of the monsoon rains. From the 100s down to the 70s over the last week.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If the temperature dropped consistently over that time then it may be the loss of pressure was due to contraction. When I tested my plumbing in my new home, it was Winter and before I had the furnace installed so I could not keep the temperature consistent which affected the test results. I was fearful that I'd miss a small leak and soap testing found one leak. There was a small drop in pressure on the retest and further soap testing failed to find any more leaks so I chalked it up as temperature variation, closed up the walls, and hoped for the best. Since the furnace was not to be installed until much later, I would not test with water and was too frugal to test with plumbing anti-freeze. I pitched all of the piping to drain but did not want to risk it.

Much later, I found a very slow leak on a union on my shower and had to cut open the drywall on the backside to fix it. It was in a utility closet where the water heater was so I just left it open with an access panel.

Reach4

Reaction score
It's been under test for a week and it's lost about 8 psi. A drop from 90 to 82. Temperature dropped with the onset of the monsoon rains. From the 100s down to the 70s over the last week.
A temperature drop alone from 100F to 70F would explain a drop of 90 psi to about 84.4 psi, if I did that right.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks