Hydronic zone vent

Users who are viewing this thread

Rockycmt

Reaction score
I need to add a vent to the top floor of my loop. I have an exposed piece if 1/2 pipe in a wall that I can access. I was thinking of adding an access panel to the wall and putting a vent on it. What is the best type of vent? I do not mind a manual one. But there has to be an easy sweat on solution here. I was gong to use a ball valve with a bleed, but feel that must be a simpler way.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
One problem with an automatic vent behind a wall panel is that if it ever starts seeping/dripping it might not be notice until you have a serious mold problem.

An "...easy sweat on solution..."? Maybe not.

With a sweat half-inch tee and a 3-6" stubbed up to to a sweat half-inch to female NPT adaptor, and half-inch male to 1/8" reducer bushing the typical 1/8" thread manual radiator bleeder or the tiny Watts HAV vent/bleeder with positive turn-off can be installed at the top. The vertical stub becomes a bubble trap (though it's more effective if it's on a fatter piece of pipe, for slower velocity, more time for bubbles to rise). I don't think any body makes a half-inch sweat to 1/8" female NPT single fitting.

Rockycmt

Reaction score
One problem with an automatic vent behind a wall panel is that if it ever starts seeping/dripping it might not be notice until you have a serious mold problem.

An "...easy sweat on solution..."? Maybe not.

With a sweat half-inch tee and a 3-6" stubbed up to to a sweat half-inch to female NPT adaptor, and half-inch male to 1/8" reducer bushing the typical 1/8" thread manual radiator bleeder or the tiny Watts HAV vent/bleeder with positive turn-off can be installed at the top. The vertical stub becomes a bubble trap (though it's more effective if it's on a fatter piece of pipe, for slower velocity, more time for bubbles to rise). I don't think any body makes a half-inch sweat to 1/8" female NPT single fitting.

This is a great idea. This is simple actually. I was planning to so a manual vent anyway. I will likely do exactly this. TY for your suggestion.