Well Main water line black VS blue line

Users who are viewing this thread

BobMane

Reaction score
A contractor told me he only uses the the blue pipe for well to house water line. I got a bunch of the 100PSI black 1" already on-hand is that good enough?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
What is the PSI rating on the blue pipe? I would only use 100 PSI pipe for sprinkler systems. I would use at least 150 or 200 PSI pipe.

BobMane

Reaction score
this is the one he had...looks different than the 1 1/4" I listed above
h6Vmr2yQkW7diHx0ILaQBvBWf7fkawTrEuy94ijUXA90MSi18zoq0sRxEfweBCoi3J_DM_PmJAcCAOY2UAn_A_i98M4TJqxZdMhVQoVBWdWBQbsx5jC6Ahe_XwM5EuGEKZAguxCVBfAZYyMTQAhHfB2X1qe6FKRHc2Z4dzX0VAC1jOH9UaQ6XqZVrrC5Y-iAr9CmpV0HP0NAjOOmd0ZUUfir70HviZo_ooSf0gqKgdrZCVRxYrpEPqWnxzrr3IUcvG-wrCLfOOj6DQVifNTNLr5bOb93pqrFlQYPyuOVeGbdbP1XZEZJf8z0v04jTyRKo6SLFIUSg-XNDiXXJASMx6nO0xZnWEn2rJEFHJ0UMjBDBjfTOWMQcq3f8z20FxkfsnbjPXhXZPm_vu5ZLp2ZpP_xTts9pnuN3rc0ytnWGeDz4Qtzk-raDzEb-uVaj0v-vaE7zuC3ahIe1AzpDOdmS2jeFoJzerf5zJjCH_7sS7IfaDWi6q3viyUrF6cWB6IMQkXm4y3Yhbx8l9jQrcqsB4IUcf3XNhuIxqS-3JpGP6liS31UkgAr712H2-xdiHtV6VcUwwDwSSFGdZSt11RFbwqKkasBRnC6zdXtQvZ_gUp3Iu1DGSo1Zo4bfscQMXW_rxPNLtQf6RNedlyWUenGLTmH3hjmZtF392FcIqO_ugqNQ4pn-ZzSwqX4wjdyWq1kLj3fhhD01-tjhDb2t92ZIW6k2g=w1608-h904-no

BobMane

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what product that is, where to buy it and where to buy the fittings for it that would enable me to go from well to pressure tank? ?

Reach4

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what product that is, where to buy it and where to buy the fittings for it that would enable me to go from well to pressure tank? ?
The polyethylene used for wells is usually SIDR, which is a size thing, with a Standard Inside Diameter. That means it is matched up with the common barbs, and the pipe has a bigger OD for higher pressure versions. If you use that as a drop pipe, you often uses extra-long barbed fittings that can accept 3 worm gear clamps. You need to heat the pipe to get the fittings in, and boiling water is a safer way to do it. You need practice to get it right with a flame.

The barbed fittings are the same type used for irrigation, but I would not use the cheap irrigation fittings that have a mold mark.

SIDR pipe is covered under standard ASTM D2239. Home Depot does not use the term SIDR. They call their pipe IPS size, and reference the standard in the description.

These barbed fittings are often called insert fittings. https://www.deanbennettsupply.com/insert-fittings.html

That site has other well supplies including pipe.
Search Results for "sidr" at Menards®
Menards does not have MT stores, but they have ND, SD, and Wyoming. They don't ship poly pipe to states where they don't have stores.

Last edited:

BobMane

Reaction score
Home Depot has a 200' roll of 1 1/4 " 250 psi ADS for about $200 and the plumbing supply house has 200' of 1 1/4 " 250 psi interstate or centennial is about $400. If I use AY mcdonald compression fittings will they work on either pipe? trying to figure out why such a big price difference and if it is worth it to spend more

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
Home Depot has a 200' roll of 1 1/4 " 250 psi ADS for about $200 and the plumbing supply house has 200' of 1 1/4 " 250 psi interstate or centennial is about $400. If I use AY mcdonald compression fittings will they work on either pipe? trying to figure out why such a big price difference and if it is worth it to spend more

I'm not familiar with those poly brands, but the only difference is probably the markup between plumbing store that probably hates DIY guys and HD that thrives on DIY guys. Compression fittings will work on either, pipe and compression fittings come in either 1) IPS (iron pipe size) or 2) CTS (copper tubing size)...both are based on OD and you need to match fitting with pipe.

Regarding previous comment on PVC...about half of the local wells drillers around here use SCH 40 pvc for waterlines....I don't, but those who use it regularly seem to have good luck. Be careful with whatever you use if you have a lot of rocks...may need to fine some sand or screened backfill to cover line a little.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks