1/2" Supply Line from Well to Pressure Tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

noreaster

Reaction score
We recently discovered that there's a leak in our 1" supply line between the well (~ 70 feet from the house) and the pressure tank (in the basement). We had a well contractor come out to evaluate our options, and running a new line (by trenching, and installing a new line) is a bit complicated given the hardscape in the way. He recommended snaking a 1/2" supply line thru the existing (broken) 1" line and using that smaller line to supply the pressure tank from the well. His argument was that the pump itself couldn't move more GPM than a 1/2" line could handle, so there would be little to no impact on the speed in which the pump can recover the pressure tank (vs the existing 1" line).

The pros of snaking a 1/2" line are straightforward - no digging, no re-doing walkways and driveway, etc. ;the existing line will simply be used a conduit for the new (smaller) line. Also looked in other potential paths for the line to come into the house, but there aren't really any other options given a long stretch of bedrock on the other side of the house.

Above said, I don't' want to take the path of least resistance if the 1/2" line is going to be inadequate, and will lead to pressure loss in the house and inability for the pressure tank to recover in a timely manner (or even keep up with demand if two showers are running at the same time, for example, and the pressure switch kicks on to refill the tank).

Looking for advice regarding whether or not a 1/2" supply line in my case would be advisable (or even sufficient to keep up with demand as paired with a 62-gallon pressure tank and a 4-person household).

Thanks in advance!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You didn't say what size pump you have or how deep it is to water? 70' of 1/2" plastic pipe will cause a 30 PSI loss at 10 GPM. The pump just needs to be able to make up the 30 PSI extra. If you have a 1/2HP, 10 GPM pump, you just need to switch it out for a 3/4HP, 10 GPM pump. But it is a very do-able thing. Lol!

noreaster

Reaction score
You didn't say what size pump you have or how deep it is to water? 70' of 1/2" plastic pipe will cause a 30 PSI loss at 10 GPM. The pump just needs to be able to make up the 30 PSI extra. If you have a 1/2HP, 10 GPM pump, you just need to switch it out for a 3/4HP, 10 GPM pump. But it is a very do-able thing. Lol!
Thanks for the feedback - I don't know (yet) what the size of the pump is - still waiting on estimates to run the new 1/2" line and hope that was factored into the equation.

So you're saying that with a suitable pump, I should be fine with a 1/2" line between the well and tank?

Fitter30

Reaction score
Can u get the needed gpm flow out of 1/2" with enough pump. Then comes the noise and pressure at Each fixture.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks