Top part of well casing broke

Users who are viewing this thread

Zoo

Reaction score
I trying to replace the 6" x1' pvc that's at the top of my well. Will I have to brake the concreat around it to get it up? There only 6 " of it sticking up but broke and can't seal the well off.. any advice? Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
I would expect a 6 inch well casing to be about 6.6 inches OD.

If you have over 3 inches or more intact pipe sticking up out of the concrete, I expect you could trim the top even, and put a connector fitting atop the PVC. Then another piece of 6 inch schedule 40 PVC would glue into that.

But check your dimensions. To measure the OD, it is often easiest to measure the circumference and divide by pi.

I am not a pro. You would probably be better off having a well person do this.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Is the PVC broken flush with the concrete?

If the pipe continues to protrude a reasonable distance above the concrete, there may be a possibility for a coupling or the hub of a short length of PVC casing, to be added to further extend the casing above grade level.

If the break is down at the concrete level, then it's likely the concrete may need to be removed to permit an extension to be installed.

Adding an internal insert into the 6" casing would reduce the inner diameter of the casing. Although your casing is 6" diameter, and most pumps are only 4" diameter, you haven't stated which pump or other equipment is within the casing so we can't comment on the potential of reducing the casing diameter.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I trying to replace the 6" x1' pvc that's at the top of my well. Will I have to brake the concreat around it to get it up? There only 6 " of it sticking up but broke and can't seal the well off.. any advice? Thanks
If you have a good 6" left all the way around you maybe able to glue a new piece to it and have a good seal. Otherwise you will need to break concrete until you can get to pipe good enough to glue to.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks