Submersible pump fell in well

Users who are viewing this thread

thunderhead

Reaction score
My submersible pump fittings rusted and fell into the well. It had galvanized pipe and I replaced it with poly tubing. I also installed a new pump. I tied a nylon rope onto the pump so if this was to ever happen again I could hoist it up and not get dinged to have a well company to retrieve it. The problem is: What do I tie the rope to? If I run it outside the cap it will not seal. I was thinking of running a stainless bolt through the pipe (side to side). What is the best way to do it. Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
So the old pump is not the problem. It sits on the bottom, and is not interfering with your new pump install, if I read correctly. You just want to make sure the new pump can be retrieved.

Best is to not use a rope or "safety" line. Put safety rope into the search box above, and search this forum for relevant posts. What you can do is to use extra long barbed adapters, especially the one under the pitless. That carries the most weight.

If using a regular length insert fitting, use 2 quality worm-gear hose clamps, with the worms on opposite sides. An extra-long fitting accepts 3 hose clamps.

Do leave some slack in your wire to allow for the poly to stretch. Do tape the wire maybe every 10 ft using high quality tape, such as Scotch 66 or 33+.

Check Menards for poly pipe -- ship free to store. However for fittings, you probably want to go elsewhere.

I am not a pro.

thunderhead

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The old pump is out,still waiting on the bill for that! New pump is already in. I have it tied with a nylon rope. Hopefully it will outlast me.

thunderhead

Reaction score
Unfortunately I didn't check this forum before installing new pump. I just did a google search and what I found was to use a rope. Now it has me doubting but I don't really want to pull that pump again. Although it is only 70' down with the Poly pipe isn't too bad. I used a Flowtec pump, from what I have read online I will be pulling it within a year anyway. LOL

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Just leave enough extra rope that if the pump falls it won't take all the slack. You can just tape some extra rope to the pipe so you can still reach it if the pump falls. But yeah, rope can be more of a problem than a help.

Don H

Reaction score
My submersible pump fittings rusted and fell into the well. It had galvanized pipe and I replaced it with poly tubing. I also installed a new pump. I tied a nylon rope onto the pump so if this was to ever happen again I could hoist it up and not get dinged to have a well company to retrieve it. The problem is: What do I tie the rope to? If I run it outside the cap it will not seal. I was thinking of running a stainless bolt through the pipe (side to side). What is the best way to do it. Thanks

I used this bracket to tie the rope off. The cap fits and seals properly on my PVC casing. https://www.wholesaleindustrialsupply.com/well-supplies/rope-hanger/
None of the local supply houses carried it, had to order it from the website above.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks