Black poly pipe fell down my well. What to do?

Users who are viewing this thread

bdub28

Reaction score
Hello all,

My wife and I bought a house with an artesian well about 2 years ago. The previous homeowner had rigged an old fashioned hand pump to the existing (electric) well by running 25 ft of black poly pipe down inside the casing. I assume this was an emergency backup in case the power went out so he could have access to water. I didn't like this and tried removing it. Well, the coupling holding one of the pipes must not have been tight and so came loose and the pipe fell into the well as I was pulling this contraption up. So there's now a 5' section of 1/2 in poly pipe stuck inside the well casing.

I have no idea if it's just sitting there alongside the electric pump or if it would sink to the bottom, and I have no clue how deep the well is. As mentioned, it's an artesian well. Besides possibly making it difficult to pull the pump out when it eventually burns out, is there anything else I need to be worried about for now? Or is this something that will be a pain in the *** a couple years down the line and just forget about it now? I can't find an answer online and am worried sick dreaming up scenarios of having to drill a new well, drinking chemically poisoned water, etc... Thanks for any help.

Reach4

Reaction score
If it is a 4 inch well, it did not fall to the bottom. If it is a 6 inch well, it may have fallen to the bottom, but even if it did not, I don't see things getting jammed up. I would not worry about it contaminating the water. However when doing well sanitizing, I think I would allow extra time for the sanitizing solution to migrate into the pipe.

How far down do you think that piece of pipe is, and what diameter is your well ID?

This thread may inspire you: https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/gonna-be-a-fun-day-of-fishing.105766/ I know you will not be as innovative and active as Hatsuwr. That is very rare.

bdub28

Reaction score
If it is a 4 inch well, it did not fall to the bottom. If it is a 6 inch well, it may have fallen to the bottom, but even if it did not, I don't see things getting jammed up. I would not worry about it contaminating the water. However when doing well sanitizing, I think I would allow extra time for the sanitizing solution to migrate into the pipe.

How far down do you think that piece of pipe is, and what diameter is your well ID?

This thread may inspire you: https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/gonna-be-a-fun-day-of-fishing.105766/ I know you will not be as innovative and active as Hatsuwr. That is very rare.
It's a 4 in well. I assume it must be floating somewhere since HDPE is less dense than water, and I'm guessing it must be 20 -25' down there because that's where the water line is showing on my tape measure. I can't see it though.

Should I just leave it then? I'd hate to call out a well company to pull the pump out, try and fish the pipe (if it doesn't come out with the pump) and seal everything back up all just to get a $2 piece of pipe out that isn't doing anything right now. And no, I definitely will not be as gung-ho as Hatsuwr to get the thing out of there... guess this is what I get for messing around with something that wasn't broke...

Reach4

Reaction score
It's a 4 in well. I assume it must be floating somewhere since HDPE is less dense than water
I was skeptical, but I see that the specific gravity tables agree with you.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I am guessing this little piece of pipe from the hand pump fell in the well that has a submersible pump for the house. if that is the case you won't have any problem until you try to pull the well pump. Then it may come out with the pump, or it could wedge between the pump and casing and stick the pump like the problem Hatsuwr had. You won't know until you try to pull the pump. Best thing would be to try and make the pump last as long as possible. Adding a Cycle Stop Valve will eliminate the abuse from cycling on and off and you may never have to worry about pulling the pump. Or at least it will be a much longer time before you have to deal with it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks