Side inlet fill valve on high tank toilet running

Users who are viewing this thread

Carice

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm not sure if anyone will have any advice, but we have an old but sound high tank toilet, which is filled over the side of the top of the tank with a Curtin 160 rotary valve (says Curtin Jr on it). The valve leaks slightly and the tank overfills and the water runs slightly but constantly down the overflow tube. Even when pushing the plunger or lifting the ball you can hear a little bit of water moving through the valve.

I'm attaching a cutaway of an almost identical model, the CVA 160 which has a slightly different linkage, but I think almost identical valve body.

I replaced almost* the entire valve about 3 years ago and it solved the problem for a little while, but now it's happening again. I've tried replacing the plunger with rubber seat washer and the leather washer, and per advice from DEA bath put a bit of waterproof grease on the leather split washer as well. No improvement.
I made sure that the bypass screw was tight in case there was leakage there.

*The only thing that I did not replace was the tail piece (#12 in the cutaway) because I would have had to demo the chase next to the fixture to unscrew it, and I was worried I'd crack something while removing it, and have to chase the repair back into the wall. Its a kids bath, probably lead paint in there, would rather not go there if there's an adjustment that can be made.

Is there anything I'm missing before I disassemble the chase (it's wood at least) and try to replace that part of the valve assembly?

If it's not offside to ask, does anyone have a recommendation for a plumber in the Boston area who is willing to work on this kind of old toilet? (when I've asked my regular plumbers, they start to slowly back away :) )

Alternately, has anyone had luck with drilling a bottom hole through a copper lined tank in order to install a modern fill valve? If I have to get into the chase anyway, it seems like I could lower the inlet 20" or whatever and put in a modern bottom fed valve, IF I could successfully drill a hole. FWIW pervious owner replaced the pipes in the chase with pex, probably after a frozen burst pipe.

Thanks for any advice!

Attachments

• curtin-cva160.png
    curtin-cva160.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_3451 2.JPG
    IMG_3451 2.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_3489.jpg
    IMG_3489.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 260
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks