Leakage between the fill valve grommet and the tank floor

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike Reilly

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a question, but first, I just right now found out about the loss of Terry. I am VERY sorry. Terry was a tremendous help to me many times; always friendly and polite to ALL of us. I've been at my wife's Hospice care center all day, every day for over 1-1/2 years now. So I haven't been able to notice much else. Blessing to all of you.

My question is: I have an old Kohler toilet model K4552 10-16-68. Still looks very good. I replaced the fill valve and all went very well. I removed a failed Keeney and installed a Waxman. There are no leaks when just sitting there. But after flushing and when the valve is filling, water flows off the bottom of the tank. After taking the valve back out, I now notice that the tank surface that the grommet contacts is rough and pitted. There is SO much water pressure turbulence at that spot during filling, I think it's blasting in between the grommet and the tank. The grommet is just plain stiff rubber, not silicone rubber. Is there a soft silicone washer or maybe a foam washer that I could use between the grommet and tank? That should be able to help conform to the pitted surface? Measuring the grommet it's about 1-9/16" O. D. and about 7/8" to 15/16" I.D. I sent along a couple pics also.
I would greatly appreciate any help at all.
Many thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_3116.JPG
    IMG_3116.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3117.JPG
    IMG_3117.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 67

Mike Reilly

Reaction score
Sorry so late getting back to you. I only work on this when I have the time. Turned out to be a coincidence anyway. I replaced the fill valve because it would never completely shut off. That fixed it but I didn't realize it 'til tonight. The unrelated issue was actually water slowing flowing out between the tank and bowl when flushing; not when filling as I first thought.

Tonight I flushed it to drain the tank and "Bloosh", the whole backside of the tank to bowl seal blew out and what a mess!! Problem found. But now I can't find any bowl to tank seal & bolt kits listed for this old toilet anywhere...Kohler Model K4552, built in 1968. It is a 3 bolt style. Would anyone have access to a correct part number for this kit; Fluid Master or anyone else for that matter. I just can't find the K4552 listed at all. I can see them on Google images ("Vintage" $600.00)!!! So if I can get a correct bolt/seal kit number, I can take it from there.
Many, many thanks,
I'd appreciate any help,
Mike

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks