Replacing sink, removing disposal, at a loss on how to set up drain..

Users who are viewing this thread

Erik1776

Reaction score
I had a 2 bowl drop in sink (1 shallower to allow for garbage disposal) that I am replacing with an undermount sink. I already chose a sink that was less deep (9' instead of standard 10"). Dishwasher used to drain into the garbage disposal which is not up to code here (IL).
I am trying to figure out how to set this up using the wye dishwasher tail pipe with the height of the drain pipe I am dealing with..
Be kind.. beginner here, trying to figure this out.
Please note the picture has a dishwasher drain set up that is not meant to stay there. I am trying to fix that set up.
So Any ideas on how this should be set up so that the P trap is at the right heigh, the dishwasher wye is in the right spot and everything is set up correctly?
I am not in a single family home so cant really touch the waste drain, changing the height (which we considered to keep the disposal) was just too much to undertake.

drain 3.jpeg

drain 2.jpeg

Drain 1.jpeg

Reach4

Reaction score
The output of the disposal must not be lower than the trap adapter.

What is the altitude difference between the bottom of the sink and the middle of the drain line? A laser level is handy for measuring that.

If not more than 6 inches with a non-stainless sink, then you will need to open the wall.
If not more than 6.5 inches with a stainless steel sink, then you will need to open the wall.

Last edited:

Erik1776

Reaction score
Thanks, I am actually not having a disposal anymore. What I having an issue with is fitting the dishwasher drain while working with such a high waste pipe. am I missing something?

Reach4

Reaction score
Got ya. https://www.law.cornell.edu/regulat...sher (Private Residence,spill rim of the sink.

It looks to me as if you can keep a branch tailpiece, but are supposed to run the drainage thru an air gap. Drill a new hole in the sink would be the normal way to install one of those. How many holes do you have in the sink?

You may need to use a shallower drain basket to put the tailpiece branch high enough. I don't know how high the branch needs to be. Also, some brass tailpieces look like they might put the branch higher.

Erik1776

Reaction score
We have a 1 center drain on the undermount sink, it is a single bowl. My understanding from previous thread is that I do not need an air gap based on local code.

Reach4

Reaction score
We have a 1 center drain on the undermount sink, it is a single bowl. My understanding from previous thread is that I do not need an air gap based on local code.
Looks like you are right.
Domestic Dishwasher (Private Residence). When a domestic dishwashing machine drain line is connected to the house side of a trap from a sink, the drain from the dishwasher shall be carried up to the underside of the spill rim of the sink. Dishwashing machines shall discharge separately into a trap or tail piece of the kitchen sink and shall not connect to the food waste disposal unit.

Erik1776

Reaction score
Would this reversible ptrap be an option? Is that possible to use in this situation, it allows me to fit the wye dishwasher tail pipe.
reverse p trap.jpeg

ptrap2.jpeg

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
You either use the reversable trap, or connect directly to a seperate trap for the dishwasher.

If you go with the second option you'd remove the cleanout and place it elsewhere.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Having had a reversible trap with a dishwasher discharge fail in one of our projects.. I've forbidden them to be installed in any situation ever.. I'd rather pay to have a wall and cabinet rebuilt to lower the pipe in the wall than pay for a flood in someones home.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks