Under Counter Ice Maker drain question

Users who are viewing this thread

Big Hos

Reaction score
I am not a professional plumber. I am wondering if this set up for my Kitchenaid under counter ice maker with a drain pump is following Kitchenaid's installation instructions. The drain hose from the icemaker (grey tube) is tied to to the dishwasher drain (white tube coming from above) via a "T connection". The "T" then is connected to the garbage disposal. The instructions per the Kitchenaid manual says "the drain pump discharge line must terminate at an open-sited drain". It says "Don not connect the outlet end of the drain tube to a closed system to keep the drain water from backing up into the ice maker". When I asked the plumber about this, his response was "This is tied to what is considered an open drain (i.e. after the trap). The drain hose is also looped to create a trap.". Please let me know if this meets Kitchenaid's instructions and if this is how you would install the drain hose if it was your house. The second picture shows the air gap installed to the left of the garbage disposal, above the drain and under the sink. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_1873.jpeg
    IMG_1873.jpeg
    18.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1875.jpeg
    IMG_1875.jpeg
    17.9 KB · Views: 14
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks