Help lowering my Kitchen sink drain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
So we are upgrading our counter tops to Granite and going with an undermount sink that is deeper than the existing stainless drop in that we have. With he garbage disposal drain being just about an inch higher than the wall drain it just makes it.
The new sink will be almost 2 inches deeper (Composite single bowl 33") in addition to that it will be an undermount lowering it another 1 1/4 for the Granite. This sucks!

Can this drain be lowered without removing the cabinet? I realize they would need to cut an access hole in the back of the cabinet to do this but is it possible and how many of you have done this? Is it an easy job for a professional? or a big expensive pain in the arse?

Please advise.

EDIT
I was so wrapped up in the garbage disposal that I did not realize my current sink is 4" higher from the center of the drain to the wall. So if the new sink is 2" deeper than the old one and I am 1 1/4" lower undermount on the granite that still leaves me 3/4" to slope 12" to the wall.
IMG_5228.jpeg

The pipe pointing left is coming from the disposal.
My wife and I agree. F the disposal! The previous one rusted and ruined the bottom of the cabinet. Don't need that again. Thanks all!

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes all us plumbers are familiar with this . first thing you need is a vertical pipe to tie into , the pipe in the wall may be horizontal trap arm running several feet to the side of the sink and then connecting verticle . or the drain pipe might be straight behind it . its a pretty easy fix for some or to big for others , Id be guessing to tell you its a small hole.
is sink on outside wall ? is ther a clean out? a window ? let me know and we can help also year built approx of home plastic dran lines are easy for DIY.

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
Yes all us plumbers are familiar with this . first thing you need is a vertical pipe to tie into , the pipe in the wall may be horizontal trap arm running several feet to the side of the sink and then connecting verticle . or the drain pipe might be straight behind it . its a pretty easy fix for some or to big for others , Id be guessing to tell you its a small hole.
is sink on outside wall ? is ther a clean out? a window ? let me know and we can help also year built approx of home plastic dran lines are easy for DIY.
Awe CRAP! Its on an outside wall and there is a window in front of the sink.. So the drain must hang a right and travel at least 4 feet to the corner wall that it most likely ties into. There is a corner cabinet that cannot be accessed. Sooooo that means I am screwed right? Is there any other setup that addresses this? like a mini sump.. What are my options?

House was built in 74 but this kitchen was remodeled before we bought the home. Id say the remodel was done 15 or 20 years ago. It should be pvc.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not nessesarily sometimes the drain is right below and the vent pipe rises and offsets below window to side and then up.
Can you see vent pipe? at roof ?
the pipe shouldnt be all the way in corner its a real big window ? anyway why is it impossible to get in corner might have to do some cutting . no wall clean out ?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
BTW Im a little unfamiliar with block wall building is that why you think the drain is in the side wall .?

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
BTW Im a little unfamiliar with block wall building is that why you think the drain is in the side wall .?
Thanks so much for your help here. Its a wood frame house. I am thinking the drain goes sideways since there is a window directly over the sink. Pretty sure that rules out any riser. I guess its possible that it could have a bit of a rise from the lateral run. I'd have to check inside once I pull the pipe off. Lets assume worst case and I am stuck with that height. Other outside of the box options?

Also the corner cabinet is a lazy susan inside so no real access except for pulling all the cabinets out. :(

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your doing counter tops right ? why cant you access after demo ? Anyway we are making assumptions we still arent 100 percent sure how its plumbed Im going off what you said Im not positive its to the left but in 5 minutes Id have a look under the sink and check the drain. this place might have an AAV undersionk for all i know , is there an AAV ? it might be easy as heck to tell by a cleanout but I didnt see answer to that

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Options , 1ditch the disposal, 2 shallow sink, 3 run new line outside and pop through the wall, 4 remove siding or stucco and do the work then replace .

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
Your doing counter tops right ? why cant you access after demo ? Anyway we are making assumptions we still arent 100 percent sure how its plumbed Im going off what you said Im not positive its to the left but in 5 minutes Id have a look under the sink and check the drain. this place might have an AAV undersionk for all i know , is there an AAV ? it might be easy as heck to tell by a cleanout but I didnt see answer to that
Very small house, there is only one main roof vent. And that is along the wall I suspect the drain pipe goes towards. Only thing I might get lucky on is if as you mentioned, the drain pipe traveling horizontally to the sink is much lower and they elbowed up to the rise its at. I plan to open the drain and do a quick inspection. Otherwise I may be forced to use a drop in shallow sink. The Garbage disposal (insinkerator) has a longer than needed mount. That thing could sesiously lose an 1" or mor and still fit fine. Do they make short versions of these? Why would any plumber put this so high.. Its more than 16" off the floor of the cabinet.. So to floor its over 20" :(

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Easy to take your trap off and shine a flashlight to the back of the drain at the wall. If the pipe goes down then you can easily modify the drain in the cabinet bay. If the drain goes to the side then you need to follow that to the point where it goes down to modify. Better do it before the countertops go in.

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
Easy to take your trap off and shine a flashlight to the back of the drain at the wall. If the pipe goes down then you can easily modify the drain in the cabinet bay. If the drain goes to the side then you need to follow that to the point where it goes down to modify. Better do it before the countertops go in.
EDIT
I was so wrapped up in the garbage disposal that I did not realize my current sink is 4" higher from the center of the drain to the wall. So if the new sink is 2" deeper than the old one and I am 1 1/4" lower undermount on the granite that still leaves me 3/4" to slope 12" to the wall.
IMG_5228.jpeg

The pipe pointing left is coming from the disposal.
My wife and I agree. F the disposal! The previous one rusted and ruined the bottom of the cabinet. Don't need that again. Thanks all!

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I had a Russian client who after I mentioned "Measure twice cut once" responded..

"In Russia we say 'measure 8 times cut once'... Everything made of Stone"

Take all your measurements from the object that won't move, the top of your cabinets. The 9-5/8 sink, basket strainer, continuous waste and trap. Where does that land in comparison to your stub out.

I have a sharpie drawing on our office floor that illustrates all of the measurements of the objects we have in a kitchen sink so people can visualize in life size what this looks like.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks