Dishwasher Tailpiece has stem too low after new undermount sink and granite top install

Users who are viewing this thread

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I agree with Wayne. It's almost definitely the wrong part. That is a tailpiece extension. He needs a flanged tailpiece with wye branch inlet.

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
I agree with Wayne. It's almost definitely the wrong part. That is a tailpiece extension. He needs a flanged tailpiece with wye branch inlet.
My photo clearly shows direct tail piece with DW stem. This is directly attached to my sink strainer. Again I really need a tailpiece with a higher stem. I saw someone mentioned brass. I may check that out. This is currently the best option I have and still be able to use my sink and dw.
I'd love to see someone post up a solid solution. I'm all ears. I'm even considering fabricating my own one piece solution. Is there any custom options out there? I could make the whole piece without and slip fittings or corrugated pipe. Just a threaded tail piece and slip fit for the wall.
Shit maybe I just put a small sump pump under the cabinet.

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
My photo clearly shows direct tail piece with DW stem.
But your photo looks like the second picture below (slip joist wye with an extra little flanged tail piece), rather than the first one (direct flanged wye). Clearly the second design forces the branch inlet to be lower than the expanded portion at the top of a slip joint wye. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean the branch inlet on a flanged tailpiece is going to be higher like you need. But if you look at a bunch of flanged tailpieces, you can try to get the highest inlet that's available.

After you do that, if necessary the other thing you can do is use a reversible p-trap, which will make the trap seal depth 4" rather than 2" and raise up the outlet. Definitely a second choice option, but better than the corrugated option.

Cheers, Wayne

41olnsl1e+L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_ (1).jpg

51DG4bghpgL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
My photo clearly shows direct tail piece with DW stem. This is directly attached to my sink strainer. Again I really need a tailpiece with a higher stem. I saw someone mentioned brass. I may check that out. This is currently the best option I have and still be able to use my sink and dw.
I'd love to see someone post up a solid solution. I'm all ears. I'm even considering fabricating my own one piece solution. Is there any custom options out there? I could make the whole piece without and slip fittings or corrugated pipe. Just a threaded tail piece and slip fit for the wall.
What's the part number of what you have? It looks like it should be higher by the width of the nut.

What Wayne is referring to is this. Which is flanged on top. Yours has a flange below the nut.
Screenshot_20240211-100419_eBay.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240211-100303_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240211-100303_Chrome.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 22

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Tuttles gave you a good way to plumb it I have some reservations but you said you dont give a shit about code so why not try it just run your hose up against bottom of cabinet and connect like he said.

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
But your photo looks like the second picture below (slip joist wye with an extra little flanged tail piece), rather than the first one (direct flanged wye). Clearly the second design forces the branch inlet to be lower than the expanded portion at the top of a slip joint wye. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean the branch inlet on a flanged tailpiece is going to be higher like you need. But if you look at a bunch of flanged tailpieces, you can try to get the highest inlet that's available.

After you do that, if necessary the other thing you can do is use a reversible p-trap, which will make the trap seal depth 4" rather than 2" and raise up the outlet. Definitely a second choice option, but better than the corrugated option.

Cheers, Wayne

View attachment 97183
View attachment 97185
Nope. I have the top photo. Directly connected to the sink drain
1707689014128.jpeg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Nope. I have the top photo. Directly connected to the sink drain
Be that as it may, the particular design of your wye tail piece (the expanded portion between the nut and the branch inlet) looks like the wyes that are slip joint only, so perhaps it shares some design lineage with such branch wyes. In which case a clean sheet flanged tailpiece design, such as in my first picture today, or my original brass picture, could gain you some height on the branch inlet.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks